Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wind Chills

Not looking forward to the weather for the next few days. It is currently snowing and sleeting here. We are under a wind chill advisory for -10 to -30 from tonight through Friday. I know that is not as cold as it is some places and I don't mind the cold but I don't care much for wind chills.

It is hard to keep water to everyone, we have a big heated tank for the main pasture but with so many horses they can drink it dry in a day's time. Which means that it has to be filled everyday, even in subzero temperatures. The problem, of course, is the hose. Yesterday it was warm in the morning but the temps dropped all day and I didn't think to top off the big tank before the hose became frozen, so I had to wind the hose up and bring the whole thing into the house. We have a hard time remembering to unhook and drain the hoses.

We have to provide water in nine different places, two tanks are heated but require hoses to fill them, two tanks are not heated and required hoses, the others are small and we can carry the water.

I carry warm water in my little red wagon to Cooter, Angel and Abby, I also carry warm water to three different places for the chickens. The does in the barn are not hard to keep watered because it is normally warm enough in the barn to prevent frozen water but last night I brought their bucket into the house after they were bedded down. I will have to remember to do that again for the next three nights and probably most of the day tomorrow, I will just have to take the water out for them to drink and bring it back in.

Our biggest headache is the two tanks that are not heated, I usually take a splitting maul and drop it down on the ice to break it for Badger's water and for the young horses that are separated from the main herd. It will not be an easy task to keep them watered for the next couple of days. I will also have to keep breaking and refilling for Cooter, the dogs and the chickens. I break their ice with a hatchet and scoop out the ice with a very handy kitty litter scoop that I bought for that purpose, then refill with warm or hot water.

So, while some of you are sitting inside your warm, cozy houses listening to the wind howl, think of me trudging across the hard frozen ground with a bucket or splitting maul in my hand fighting against the icy wind. We will also have to feed and milk in this cold, it is all part of the joy of farm living and I love it, my eldest son and his family got me a new face mask for Christmas, so I am prepared.

We have been getting around 8 eggs per day but the temperature took a nose dive yesterday and we got 10! I don't think that I will ever understand chickens. They might all lay tomorrow since it will be so cold and there will be nothing else to do.

7 comments:

Claire MW said...

We'll be right there with you, trudging around the farmyard with buckets. Our heated buckets are freezing over at night. These winds are insanely cold. They make my eyes hurt.

Christy said...

Man, I don't know how you deal with that! I hate the cold.

Peggy said...

I will be outdoors too. Feeding,watering and making sure all are staying warm. I will probably be helping with kidding too.

The Scavenger said...

Sounds like your animals are very well taken care of, good for you and them too. I am eating a bowl of hot soup as I read this and now I feel so sorry that you are going out in the cold. I know you love it though.....now back to my soup. lol

Chris

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

Trudging around the farm here too in Ky....the wind chills like this make it unbearable for a warm weather person like myself...the animals are enjoying my several trips to bring water today...stinks for me, great for them...think they will repay my kindness????? Prob not! LOL milking with cold hands must be no fun for the does! brrrr

Anonymous said...

I AM ALSO RIGHT BESIDE YOU. I HAVE TO TAKE WATER TO THE GOATS EVERY MORNING AND NIGHT AND MAKE SURE THEY HAVE GOOD BEDDING FOR THE COLD NIGHTS..
HERE IN MASS WE ARE ALSO EXPECTING THE -10 DEGREES TONIGHT AND FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY, THEN WE HAVE THE WIND CHILL..AND I GO TO THE BARN (MY HORSES ARE BOARDED FOR THE TIME BEING)AND I HELP WITH THE HAY, ETC THERE.. WE DO HAVE HEATED TANKS ALSO AND SO FAR THEY HAVE WORKED..WE FIGHT WITH HOSES AND WELL YOU KNOW THE REST..
WE ARE ALL CRAZY AND THAT'S OK BY ME!!

KAREN IN MASS

Pintura Springs said...

I am so thankful that I am not the only crazy person in the world.

ShareThis