Wednesday, July 17, 2013

DIY No-Grate Powdered Laundry Soap

Like so many other people who are making their own cleaning supplies, I thought I would try it out myself. So, I found the preferred recipe for Laundry Detergent and went to work. The one thing that I ran across repeatedly was that no one liked grating the soap. So here is an alternative idea.

Recipe:
1 Box Borax (4lb 12oz) 
1 Box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (3lb 7oz)
1 Container OxiClean (3lbs)
2 Boxes Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (2lbs each)
3 Bars Fels Naptha Soap
Mix all ingredients together except the Fels-Naptha. You can either add the bars to the mixture by grating or microwave the bars using the directions below. If you are sensitive to strong smells, you had better just use the grating method.
Place Fels-Naptha Bar in microwave safe bowl like Corningware. Microwave on high for around 3 minutes (microwaves vary, so this is an estimated time). It will swell into a monstrous glob. When finished, carefully remove from microwave and set aside for a couple of hours to cool. After it is thoroughly cooled it easily crumbles and flakes apart in your hands. If it didn't cook quite long enough there will still be some hard chunks in the middle, you can just pop them back into the microwave for a few seconds until they plump up, then cool again and crumble.

You may end up with some unusual shapes like my Alien friend below:



* I cannot stress the cooling part enough because I did burn my fingers by being impatient. It cools very quickly on the outside but will maintain hot pockets of goo inside for a long time.

* The scent will not be unpleasant but will be very strong and quite overwhelming, your microwave may retain the smell for quite awhile.



This is definitely the best and easiest method for me but please do not try it if you or a family member cannot tolerate strong odors. Your whole house will smell like Fels-Naptha!!


No comments:

ShareThis