Friday, June 19, 2009

Worming


This morning was worming day for the goats. I milked Collette early this morning then wormed her, her milk tonight went to the dogs. I will go back to using her milk tomorrow evening. I don't worry much about getting the wormer in the milk that I drink since the wormer that I use is used to worm people in third world countries.

The wormer that I use is Jeffers Ivermectin 1.87% Paste Wormer for Horses it is currently only $2.59 per tube and made in the USA. You also can get free shipping if you order $60 worth of Vet supplies from them, which is easy to do because they have so much really neat stuff at reasonable prices (I love Jeffers!). I use this wormer for the horses, the goats and the dogs.

I dose it at three times the horse dosage for my goats, so if the goat weighs 100 lbs. then I treat it like a 300 lb. horse. I hit them again in two weeks with a second dose for any worms that have hatched out since the first worming and this seems to take care of all of my worm problems. It also takes care of lice and mites if they are a problem.

I have been hurrying to get this post done because I wanted to get it in before tomorrow, in trying to blog everyday. However it is time to say "Good-bye" because the thunder is rolling outside and it is getting louder which means it is getting closer. We are under a Tornado Watch for tonight, so I hope to post again tomorrow, Lord willing!

5 comments:

ooglebloops said...

That's interesting that you use that for all-that does make it easy! I've been told to keep the dogs away from the horse poop (their favorite snack!) after worming the horses. The vet has had dogs come in very ill after ingesting it.

Pintura Springs said...

I was told the same thing by my Vet, to make sure that the dogs didn't get any of it. But the ladies on a goat message board that I frequent recommended it and I have used it for a couple of years without any problems at all, I even use it on my Miniature Schnauzer.

Susan said...

Your blog is so helpful -- and timely! Would I worm sheep at the same ratio? Also, how often do you worm your goats? Thanks for the great information.

Susan in NY

Pintura Springs said...

I am not a sheep person, would like to be someday but I don't want to tell you that you can worm them the same way that I worm my goats. You will have to make that decision yourself.

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

I'm assuming the tornado didnt get you! LOL
Great post, I learn more every day!

ShareThis