Saturday, August 15, 2009

Tomatoes

I was so excited last night! I was really late putting out my tomatoes this year and while everyone else was already reaping their harvest, I just had plants with tons of green tomatoes on them. I got my first ripe tomato last night and I gently carried it to the house, washed it off and grabbed the salt shaker.

My tomatoes are always better than anyone else's for some reason. They are very acidic and will make you get blisters in your mouth if you eat too many. Our neighbor has been giving us some tomatoes over the last few weeks and they are slightly sweet and do not have good tomato flavor. I think that he waters them too much.

My neighbor kept asking me if I had tomatoes yet and smirked about how many he was getting from his plants. I told him that was fine but I would still have ripe tomatoes for Christmas.

I really do have ripe tomatoes for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I just cover my plants for the first few light frosts and then pick all of the green tomatoes off of my plants before the first hard freeze. Then I put the green tomatoes in a cardboard box and cover them with newspapers.

My neighbor will have already cut down his non-producing plants while we have plants loaded with tomatoes. This happens every year because he gets his plants out just as early as possible and I am lazy and procrastinate.

3 comments:

ooglebloops said...

Don't feel bad - mine are late too - the cherry tomatoes are just popping out - but when my green ones turn red - I will be overloaded!!!! But they are good!!!

KAREN IN MASS said...

WE ARE ALSO BEHIND. OUR PLANTS ARE LOADED SO WHEN THEY START TO RIPEN WE WILL BE OVERLOADED...WE HAVE HAD ALOT OF COOL RAINY WEATHER THIS YEAR IN MASSACHUSETTS. WE ARE JUST GETTING THE HOT HUMID WEATHER..WE ACTUALLY GOT INTO THE 80'S!!!!

KAREN IN MASS

Grandma Elsie said...

I just found you from TJ's blog.
I have enjoyed reading about your farm and horses. I have always been afraid of them,ever since my daddy used to use them to plow our garden in the 40's-50's..
But I have a granddaughter who dearly loves them.
You have a busy and interesting life but you make me tired just reading about all the walking etc.I could not do any of the with my arthritis in my back,hips and knees.sorry to say,
Have a restful day from one granny to another granny..

ShareThis