Thursday, August 27, 2009

Horse Adoption



The comments on my last post about the theft of our pictures and the theft of the word Rescue, brought up another good point. That is the overuse and misuse of the word Adoption. Adoption is a "feel good" word and it should be, if you are adopting a child, but the adoption of animals is just plain silly.

If your adopted dog viciously attacks someone or some other animal, you will soon learn that you actually OWN that dog, he is yours and nobody else's, he belongs to you. Whether you bought him or adopted him it makes no difference.

Do words really have that much power? We no longer buy animals, we adopt them. We no longer sell animals, we re-home them. The money is the same whether you buy, sell, re-home or adopt. The only thing that is different is the terminology.

Using this thought, I will now reword and try to explain my previous post to you again.

There is a young woman in Texas who is a Novice. She was a minor but is now an adult. She supports herself in a career of extracting goods, services and donations from the trusting individuals who she comes in contact with.

She uses a free website provider to highlight the horses that she has never seen, in order to obtain donations to feed and care for horses that she does not own.

If you have come in contact with this woman, who's name is something like Cortney, and made donations to her horse rescue, then you can feel good about the fact that you have provided resources for the care and feeding of her imaginary animals.

If your plans to adopt one of them fell though. I am sure that she just decided that you were not a good match and could not provide a good home for them. However, your money will not be refunded because of the time and effort that she put into making that decision.

Please be warned, there are many people out there on the internet who will scam and otherwise defraud you, more than you can even imagine. Make sure that you are dealing with an established business when adopting any animal because the words "adoption" and "rescue" are terms that many unscrupulous people are using in order to sell their animals and make more money than they could by using the term "for sale".

**Update: Her website has finally been removed, she must have found a new way to scam people or is hopefully in jail.**

3 comments:

ooglebloops said...

Your first post made perfect sense:>)- the woman is a scam artist- plain and simple!
I think I did mention about the overuse of the word rescue lately - it is feel good terminology. If the animal is taken out of a horrid situation with no money involved - that is a true rescue.
You make a good point tho - ALWAYS check out who you are dealing with- there are too many scam artists out there who are getting away with it! I enjoy your blog!!!

KAREN IN MASS said...

GOOD POINT!!! ADOPTION OF ANIMALS IS ALMOST AS HARD AS ADOPTING CHILDREN!! WHO ALSO MAY GROW UP AND BITE SOMEONE, AND THEY ARE YOUR RESPONSIBILTY UNTIL THEY ARE 18 YEARS OLD. ADOPTING AN ANIMAL INVOVLES ALOT OF PAPER WORK AND QUESTIONS ON WHETHER YOU'D MAKE A GOOD OWNER, HENCE THE WORD "ADOPTION"..SILLY I KNOW BUT I TRIED A FEW YEARS AGO TO ADOPT A CAT AND BECAUSE I LOST THE PREVIUOS ONE I WAS DENIED!!!! I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT HAPPEN TO THE MISSING CAT. I WAS DENIED BECAUSE I LET THE CAT OUTSIDE!!! SO I LEARNED THAT IF YOU LIE THROUGH YOUR TEETH YOU MIGHT JUST MIGHT BE ABLE TO "ADOPT" AN ANIMAL.....

TJ said...

Thanks for the posts. I haven't ever been scammed like that, and thanks to your post, I'll keep my eyes open and hope I never do.

ShareThis