Monday, August 10, 2009

Horses Killed For Meat?

Horses being killed in South Florida for their meat? - CNN.com

If you haven't been following the above story online, it is terribly frightening. I don't think that it is getting much coverage. I have asked several horse people that I know and they haven't even heard about it. They are saying 19 horses have been slaughtered but they think that many more have been killed. Some people are just not reporting it because they don't want to be involved with the police or the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

The articles are saying that horse meat is bringing $7 to $20 per pound on the black market and possibly even $40 per pound. The strange part of this story is that they aren't stealing the horses but are butchering them right in their own pastures or in their stalls. I read in another article where a lady went out to feed her horses and found nothing but the horse's carcass in the stall. How shocking would that be?

It is not illegal to kill and process your own horses for meat in Florida. So with horses selling at auction for $10 to $250 each or being offered for free, why would someone risk jail time to do this? They are also risking being shot by the horse owners. With all of the unwanted horses out there, it is a real shame that good, well loved horses are being slaughtered.

5 comments:

Country Gal At Heart said...

Terrible! Poor horses.
By the way, I know you had rigged up a milking machine. I'm going to try to rig up an electric milking machine from a garage sale breast pump. Don't know if it will work yet, but I don't see why. We'll see. Have a good weekend and be safe on the farm.

Pintura Springs said...

A breast pump, what a great idea! You must post pictures when you get it working. I have also heard of using battery operated spray nozzles but haven't tried it.

KAREN IN MASS said...

I KNOW I AM LATE WITH READING THIS...I JUST READ YOUR BLOG ABOUT IT BEING AUGUST ALREADY....I DID NOT HEAR ABOUT THE HORSE SLAUGHTERING...I HOPE IT STOPS..I WILL WORRY ABOUT MY BABIES NOW...
I SAW A WOMAN PUTTING UP A SIGN THINKING SHE HAD LOST HER DOG OR CAT. WHEN I GOT TIME AND NO TRAFFIC WAS COMING I STOPPED TO SEE WHAT THEY LOOKED LIKE IN CASE I SAW THEM...LO AND BEHOLD SHE HAD "LOST" 7 OXEN!!!!! HOW ON EARTH DO YOU LOOSE "7 OXEN?" I THINK SOMEONE MUST HAVE BACKED THEIR TRAILER UP TO THE GATE AND TOOK THEM!!! BUT I WILL KEEP MY EYE OUT!!!!

KAREN

Anonymous said...

Why is this any different than butchering a cow, pig, or chicken?

Just curious.

Pintura Springs said...

It isn't any different than butchering a cow, pig or chicken. I wouldn't be any happier if someone came onto my property and killed any of my animals because they are mine.

But if it was a horse with training and experience that you had invested time, miles and love in, then it would be much different.

ShareThis