Saturday, October 10, 2009

Blood and White Stuff In Eggs

This blog is in answer to my Daughter-in-law's question about the things that she found inside her Grandmother's farm fresh eggs.

A chalaza is a white threadlike structure in an egg which helps to keep the yolk in place inside the shell, like an anchor. Sometimes, there are two of these visible on opposite sides, other times only one is visible. Over time this rope can get twisted as the yolk moves around inside the shell, making it look thick and bumpy.

The chalaza is perfectly safe to eat, although it can be removed if you wish. The more visible the chalaza is, the fresher the egg. This is why they are not very noticeable in store bought eggs. If you are reading this post without ever getting eggs fresh from the farm, you probably don't even know what I am talking about because you have never seen one.

Blood Spots or Meat Spots that are sometimes found in eggs are caused by ruptured blood vessels during the formation of the egg.

Candling methods can reveal blood spots in eggs, if you wish to go to the trouble. However, as the egg ages the yolk takes up water from the albumen and dilutes the blood spot making it vanish, so blood spots actually indicate that the egg is super fresh. Again, this is the main reason that these meat spots, like the chalaza are not normally found in store bought eggs. Eggs with these spots are perfectly fine to eat or the spot can be removed with the tip of a knife.

Finding chalaza or meat spots in your eggs do not reflect the quality of the eggs. They only tell you that your eggs are fresh. The color of the yolks are the real test of quality. The lighter the yolk the less nutritional value.

4 comments:

TJ said...

Thank you! This was a great post and very informative. We raise our own chickens and ducks for their eggs, and I have noticed both the blood spots and chalaza before. I knew there wasn't anything wrong with eating the eggs, but I didn't know much more than that!

Would you mind if I posted a link from my blog to this post?

Pintura Springs said...

Thanks, I would love for you to post a link from your blog.

DebH said...

Thank you very much for that info..I just received my package and testing material for egg candling and egg selling and those are better explanations than the book!! I have had my own eggs for years now and always wondered what those parts were?? Now, if I can just pass the testing!!?

Jennifer said...

Interesting and educational post. Thanks for posting this info.

ShareThis