Sunday, October 25, 2009

Ladybug Wars

After the first year of welcoming Ladybugs into our home as carriers of good luck, I found that this was just a myth. The following years have been all out war. I found that spraying my windows, outside and inside walls with Raid "Ant and Roach" spray was fairly effective. But last year only a few Ladybugs showed up on our doorstep in October, so I thought that I was either winning the war or their numbers were just dwindling.

I was wrong, as usual. This year they came back with a vengeance. They caught me totally unaware and unprepared. Their numbers have greatly increased and their immune systems are in top notch shape. Someone needs to be studying their immune systems instead of developing all of these wacky flu vaccines.

The first day of their return was in swarms of Biblical proportions. My Grandchildren were here and had planned to spend that beautiful, sunny, Autumn day in the great outdoors. They eventually gave up that dream and complained to me that the Ladybugs were being overly annoying to the point of aggression. I went out with them a few times and we had to stop at the door to scrape them off of one another's clothing before coming back into the house.

I jumped online with my speedy dial-up to see what to do since I had no Raid available. The article that I read suggested Lemon scented household cleaner, any would do. I tried it and it seemed to work as well as the Raid. But even Raid couldn't have kept them out in these numbers and with this determination.

When my DH got home from work on the second day of the attack. He had heard from others who were experiencing the same battles, that Lemon scented candles burning inside one's home could turn away these invaders. He also heard that Wasp and Hornet spray would kill them. I have never tried this but desperate people have desperate ways.

Of course, I had no Lemon scented candles but he had also heard that they don't like Blueberry candles. Believe it or not, I did happen to have one Blueberry scented candle in my candle drawer. With a feeling of this being our last great hope, I triumphantly lit the Blueberry candle in our only bedroom window which happens to be the weak point of our defense.

It really did a great job, I am not saying that it was 100% effective but it was about 89% effective and that is really good when dealing with Ladybugs. Next year I will be armed with both Lemon and Blueberry candles. I will also have Raid "Wasp and Hornet" spray on hand just in case things get ugly.

4 comments:

Claire MW said...

Oh! Yes!!! They were dreadful! I had to take out the doormat the next morning, because there were simply hundreds of them on it. I thought the chickens would eat them. No. They will not look at them. I had to use a stiff bristled brush to get them off the mat. They are a plague! I said to Kelly that maybe if we get a storm door on our back door (their main point of entry) it might slow the horde. I will look into candles for next year. I also have pure lemon oil for baths. I wonder if I spread that on the wood surrounding the door if it would be effective?!

Pintura Springs said...

Lemon seems to repel most insects, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Country Gal At Heart said...

I can relate, too. This year so far I haven't seen any, though. Maybe they start there, then we will see them. I'll try the lemon sprays. I like my Melaleuca sprays, too. They cleared up the sores on the goats so well!!

Aimee said...

In my old house we got ladybug swarms - only upstairs - every year for three years. Then they left and never came back. I didn't do anything.

ShareThis