Saturday, October 17, 2009

Secret Stash

We have been bad mouthing our hens for a few weeks. Some of them have been busy molting, that has been obvious. But the others had no excuse for not laying any eggs at all. We have gotten a couple of eggs every two or three days which was pretty bad for around 18 hens.

I was looking around the barn the other night, this was not the first time that I had looked for a hidden nest but this was the first time I found one. Underneath the big piece of cardboard that my DH uses to lay on under the truck when he changes the oil, I found their secret stash. This was on the same night that my DH was talking about getting rid of all of them and starting out fresh in the Spring.

It was a small but deep nest. The eggs at the very bottom were all broken. There were 18 unbroken eggs. The funny thing is that since I removed all of the eggs and cleaned the nest, they have not used that nest again. So we are back to getting one or two eggs every other day. I know that it is getting colder but we got eggs all during last winter.

I have slipped back into my non-blogging habit again, the truth is that I have been reading books. I bought several Tony Hillerman books last Christmas for my Step-Dad and for myself but hadn't read but a few of them. My Step-Dad gave me all of his when he was done with them.

I picked up one of them a few weeks ago and I have been obsessed ever since. I am on a reading marathon. It was really nice while I was sick to lay in bed and read but now that I am better, I can't get out of the habit.

3 comments:

Carolyn Evans-Dean said...

I love to read but I often don't have the time. I usually force myself to wait until winter so that there are fewer chores and I curl up by the fire. I can't wait...

Christy said...

Mine aren't laying much either. I've been looking for the hidden nest everyday but haven't found it yet.

KAREN IN MASS said...

I LOVE TO READ TOO AND DO CROSSWORD PUZZLES...BUT LIKE YOU AND A FEW OTHERS I GET TOO BUSY AND DON'T HAVE TIME...SO GO AND READ YOUR HEART OUT. YOU HAVE MY BLESSING!!!!:)

KAREN

ShareThis