Friday, February 5, 2010

Now A Warning

Our winter storm WATCH became a WARNING this evening. It was suppose to start with rain and it started raining around midnight. I love winter and snow, always have, but with the prices we are paying for hay and being caught with so many horses this winter, it has taken all of the joy away. I sure will be happy to see green grass growing again. I will also be happy when all of the hay bills are paid. It has been a struggle.

We worry about the horses because the big bales that they are getting are not what we would normally feed. My DH likes "good" square bales that he can regulate without much waste but all of the decent priced "good" hay anymore is just junk, moldy and weedy. We were forced to switch to big round bales that are nasty but are still costing us thousands of dollars.

We had to buy the big round bale horse feeders when we switched to round bales and you talk about a joke. They cost an arm and a leg. They start falling apart and getting dangerous after a couple months of horse use and sitting in the weather, more money down the drain.

The horses made me feel a little better tonight. They all look great and were running, racing and playing like a bunch of kids. Even my old gelding stood on his hind legs and pawed at the sky. I think they must be looking forward to the storm.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Good hay does seem hard to find and it is expensive too. I am ready for spring as well, we got shorted on the hay off of our farm this past summer so we are not buying it and it really puts a strain. Then add in the ridiculous cost of propane and well I am ready for spring too this year! It does sound like your horses are happy and doing well on the round bales though. That has got to make a person feel good.

ooglebloops said...

We are having the hay problem here also!! Taking on an extra horse, and all the snow(and more coming today!)has put a huge dent in my winter hay supply!!We grow our own and sell some, but now I am going to have to go out and buy some!!!Spring and green grass can't come soon enough!!!

ShareThis