Monday, August 25, 2008

Good Help

The rest of the hay wagons are being unloaded and put in the loft while I am typing this. Thankfully I am not having to participate because we have three able bodied, strong, young men here to take my place. They don't have as much experience as I have but my DH will manage somehow without me.

Way back when we were young, we put together a hay crew and put up hay for our neighbors in a large farming community. This was before the large round balers were invented, everyone square baled. I cringe to think about how much hay we put up each summer. We went through several high school age boys back then, they had to be tough to keep up the pace that my Husband set.

We were running several head of cattle and horses back then also, we had a large old barn that we would fill full of hay every year and had hay to sell all winter. The hay that we put up yearly now couldn't hold a candle to the amount of hay that we put up then.

Our loft will be full after today, then we will have to fill our friend's barn, she has room for about 300 bales. After that we will have to buy round bales because we will be out of storage space. My DH says that we will be paying about $4200 for hay this year.

I am going to attempt to go riding soon, I have finally talked my Husband into letting me try. I really want to ride again. I know I will have to brace up my back and I will have to break myself into it slowly but my dream is to be able to trail ride again. My Doctor says, no, but what does he know, he is only practicing anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI VICKY,
JOIN THE CROWD FOR DR'S SAYING NOT TO RIDE. MY FRIEND CHERYL AND I WERE TOLD NOT TO RIDE BUT WE DID AND OUR BACKS ARE MUCH BETTER FOR IT.
I HAVE A CHIROPRACTOR THAT HAS DONE WONDERS FOR ME. I AM NOW CANTERING UP A STORM. I COULDN'T DO THAT WITH THE DR I HAD. HE ONLY PUSHED DRUGS ON ME FOR RELIEF. I COULDN'T RIDE AS WELL BECAUSE MY BACK WASN'T PLYABLE ENOUGH. ONLY THE CHIROPRACTOR FIXED IT. SHE IS A GOOD ONE!!!!
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RIDING. I SURE AM ENJOYING IT!!
KAREN IN MASS.

Anonymous said...

I hope you do get to ride again soon. I agree with Karen, docs just want to give you meds, I go to a chiropractor here in Bedford and I think he is just great adjustments make me feel better than any pain killer ever has. Riding has improved the strength in my back, thus there is less pain, so good luck and safe trails.
Stephanie Williams, IN

ShareThis