Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Terrible Tuesday

What started out as just a normal miserable Monday, ran over into a terrible Tuesday. It was just one thing after another yesterday. First, I was sitting at the computer when I first woke up and I heard the sound of a Stallion outside of his designated area.

It is a distinct sound that only people who have more than one Stallion would recognize. A horrifying sound that makes your blood run cold because you know how much damage can be done in a very short time when one stallion gets directly across the fence from another stallion.

Stallions who live in the same town, state, country or even on the same planet hate each other with a passion and having to live on the same farm with each other is nearly unbearable. They dream about the day that they can get nose to nose to prove who is the master of the universe.

Jazz, our Appaloosa Stallion had figured out that his electric fence wasn't hot. He really doesn't care much if it is hot or not, he will still lean into it to get the greener grass on the other side. Some things are just worth it. When it pops him good it just makes him mad and he shakes his head and stomps his front feet at it as if he is going to whip it into submission.

So he accidentally leaned too far into it yesterday morning and low and behold he found himself outside his area without even breaking a wire. Once he was out, the green grass lost its appeal and all he wanted to do was kill Badger our AQHA Grullo Stallion. There was still another electric fence separating them but neither of them cared.

As soon as I heard the sound, I was out the door grabbing the first rope that I could get my hands on. The lot that Jazz had found his way into was uninhabited so the grass was tall and boy was it ever wet with dew. They were squealing, rearing, biting and bleeding and one strand of fence was already history.

I yelled at Jazz to stop it and he does listen and obey but then Badger would say something that he just couldn't ignore and they were back at it again. We ran back and forth, and back and forth. Finally, I threatened Jazz in such a way as to become a bigger threat than Badger. He could tell that I was really tired of running and I was soaked up to my knees in the wet grass.

So he stopped and started eating, pretending that he had done nothing wrong. Badger continued to badger him but he was focused on me and my anger at this point. He stood perfectly still while I put the rope around his neck and listened carefully to all of my lecturing.

That was just the start of the day, the whole day continued on like this, just little annoying problems like fences to fix and working out the glitches of the electric current.

In the evening when I was just starting to relax after a tough day, I stapled my thumb. It's true, I was reaching for the stapler and it shot me right in the thumb. I screamed at the very thought of it, ran into the kitchen without looking at it and held it out to my dear Husband, saying something like, "Get it out!". He got a good hold on it and pulled it out in a quick motion. It had gone all the way in to the bone. My thumb is still sore but it was at its worse about two hours after it happened, very painful, like a smashed thumbnail, throbbing.

I was happy when Monday ended but then Tuesday came...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really sorry to hear about all your bad incidents, but the picture of Angus, I'm assuming, with his head stuck in the barrel was hilarious.
Stephanie
Indiana

Linda Foley said...

WOW! That really was some Monday!!! I have never had horses, but I can imagine. Your closing picture has me curious though...

Jiller said...

Oh my gosh, what a horrible way to start the week! Well today is hump day so I hope the rest of the week is better! Be very careful with that puncture on your thumb! Make sure it doesn't get infected!

Hugs from California
Jill and Family

Kelly said...

I respect a woman who can command not one but two stallions. Only after all is donne, you can get a glass of ice tea, sit on a step and laugh.
Kelly

Pintura Springs said...

Thanks for your kind remarks. My thumb is much better, my thumbnail is still sore which is a little weird since the staple went in on the opposite side.

Kelly or Alex, you don't need to respect me, it is my DH who has those stallions easy to handle. We raised both of them and he used a firm hand on Jazz when he needed it. Badger has always had a respectful attitude and has never needed a firm hand.

taw said...

Hi Vicky- Hope all is going well now, I just finished reading and catching up on all your adventures. Tell Philip I said hello, and give Buddy a hug for me if he's still around.

Tonya

Pintura Springs said...

Tonya, Buddy is still here, as is, Bullseye and Fancy. Buddy and Bulls are still best friends but Fancy has taken up with Darth, our TW Gelding. She is really in love. It is funny because Darth is super friendly when anyone is out in the pasture and Fancy comes up with him with her ears penned back tight against her head. We just pet her like we do him and all is fine but it may be hard to explain to anyone who comes to look at Darth.

You would love Darth, he is just perfect. Friendly, gentle and easy to ride. We have talked about keeping him and Leroy but we really need to sell something to pay for hay, so you have to sell what you can. I am beginning to think that we just need to start leasing horses because we have several great horses right now.

ShareThis