Thursday, March 25, 2010

More Eggs, No Milk

It is Spring Break for some of our Grand-kids, so they have been taking turns staying overnight at Papaw and Mamaw's house. I have walked several miles with them around the farm and Papaw has walked several miles with them on Mr. Shorty. Poor Mr. Shorty has earned his keep this week.

Our hens are finally laying a decent amount of eggs. We are getting anywhere from 4 to 9 eggs a day. Then occasionally my DH goes into the loft and finds a nest, that makes our egg production number jump.

We haven't milked Calico for a week or so and she is about all dried up. Collette is still being Collette and I am still unsure of what is going on with her. Our neighbor and fellow goat herder said that she had a goat deliver a kid the other day without any signs at all. She thought that she was a long way from kidding. She had no udder, no puffiness or swelling. Goats are all different and they are always planning new ways of fooling you.

I was planning on selling my Buck as soon as both does kidded this Spring but now I will probably have to keep him until fall. Once I get both does in milk, I am going to keep milking them as long as they will produce milk or until I get tired of milking. No more breeding and kidding unless I get lonely for some new kids.

4 comments:

Linda Foley said...

"Once I get both does in milk, I am going to keep milking them as long as they will produce milk or until I get tired of milking. No more breeding and kidding unless I get lonely for some new kids."

AMEN!!!

Pintura Springs said...

Plus, my DH gripes about always having to keep a Buck around, it is hard to keep them apart until you are ready to breed them. I don't want to take my does somewhere to be bred and I don't like bringing a new Buck in because I am always afraid of diseases.

Linda Foley said...

Well, ya mine doesn't care for the buck either, and tried hard to talk me into getting rid of him because he is a pain! But I have to keep a buck around so when I do need to breed I can. But, yes, it is a pain trying to keep the buck from the does - or maybe just as much problem keeping the does from the buck!

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to milking my goats!! :D My mom's chickens have upped their egg production too, she keeps giving me dozens of eggs now! I love spring :)

ShareThis