Thursday, December 18, 2008

A One Egg Day

There have been colder days than today, there have been nastier days than today. We have consistently received at least five eggs everyday since the cold weather has arrived. Something changed today, only one lonely egg.

The good news is that the shortest day of the year, Sunday, December 21st is about to arrive and then the days will start getting longer. I always love to get on the other side of that short day. I love cold weather and snow but I don't care for the long nights.

Angel and I both saw an unusual sight today. I was walking back to the barn from feeding Cooter. I had already fed the Chickens in a couple of different places, there was a group pecking at their feed right in front of our horse trailer as we passed.

All of the sudden from up on the hill above the barn, something came swooping down upon us heading right for that group of chickens. I stopped and at first glance thought it was a hawk, it had the same coloring. Angel was a few yards behind me and she froze in place, looking up, high over her head. I was stunned and relieved when I realized what it was, it was one of my little banty hens in a hurry to get to the feed before it was all gone.

I have never seen a chicken fly that high, she had her wings stretched out and glided in for a perfect landing, right in the middle of the feeding frenzied large hens who make her life pretty difficult. Those hens scattered in all directions, they thought the sky was falling. I am almost certain that she was playing big, bad, bird of prey. It was very affective but the moment of panic didn't last long and the big hens ran her off again.

4 comments:

The Scavenger said...

Glad it was a hen. I had some roosters in a 6 ft dog lot once and they flew over it. Never knew they could fly that high.


Chris

Jennifer said...

How funny, that little hen had a plan!

Anonymous said...

YES, I TOO HAVE WITNESSED THE "BIRD OF PREY PLOY". MY DAD ALWAYS HAD CHICKENS AND AFTER THEY KEPT GETTING OUT OF THE PEN (AND THE DOG IN THE NEIGHRBORHOOD TRYING TO EAT THEM) HE FINALLY HAD TO CUT THEIR WINGS (FEATHERS ACTUALLY). IT WAS A SIGHT WHEN THEY TRIED TO DISQUISE THEIR CHICKEN BEAKS FOR HAWK BEAKS!!!

KAREN IN MASS

Amy said...

I'm glad the solstice is here! Come on spring! I feel your pain of the drop in egg production. I've placed a light on a timer in the coop to extend the light hours to 14 a day. It seems to be helping. They've gradually increased production over the past few days.

ShareThis