Saturday, February 7, 2009

Just When I Needed You!

Rachel at Welcome To Wilmoth Farms was hit very hard in Kentucky by the ice storm that passed through on Tuesday, January 27th.

If you follow my blog you know that during that storm our little Angus was born. My first thought while he was thawing out in our living room was, I knew Rachel will have some advice for me since it has been many, many years since we raised any calves on bottles.

I had many questions, like how long he should have colostrum, since his Mother never let him nurse? If the goat colostrum that I had on hand would work since the roads were so bad that we couldn't get out to get anything else? How much should he be drinking and how often?

Then the really, really big question, how do you stop these scours????

But alas, Rachel is still without power and Angus may be half grown before she is back among the enlightened. She did read my post about Angus and left a comment but she is only checking in when she can. Since for some reason I am not able to post comments on her blog, I will just have to communicate with her here.

Hello, Rachel, hope you are doing well and I hope that your place is thawed out by now and clean-up is nearly done. I really hope that you get your electricity back soon. But I must say that these on again, off again scours are driving me mad!

Angus is healthy and strong, has bonded with my DH and follows him everywhere he goes. He always runs in a gallop with a few twists and bucks. When he is hungry, he comes to the door and rattles the doorknob, this gave me quite a fright the first time that he did it and I was here all alone.

Since he is staying in the barn right outside my living room door, I am seeing most of his bowel movements and smelling them. Some are firm but some like the one that I slid in the other night and almost fell are very runny.

I would appreciate your home remedy for scours very much. He is currently getting 6 quarts of medicated replacer per day with some yogurt and an egg in each bottle. He is also getting mushed up Calf Manna and we are putting a couple of tablespoons of Pepto-Bismol in each bottle if he appears to need it.

3 comments:

Claire MW said...

I kind of hate to say it, but this post makes me really glad we decided not to have cow(s) and just stick with goats, sheep & other smaller animals. Our big animals are llamas, but they have poop that looks like rabbit pellets...

ChristyACB said...

I sure hope you get his little runny poops taken care of! Can't be good to have that too long.

Calves are just the funnest things ever. But yes, they are pretty stinky. Almost as bad as a human baby when you want to run away and buy a gas mask when you change their diaper. You remember that phase? ::shivers::

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

OH Dear!!!! I am so sorry i havent been able to talk with you!!!!! I have a home made remedy for scours, but I havent tried it yet this year, and I dont have it on me, yet again in a resturant with wifi......sooo get scours control.....lol thats the name.....the other additives..I have tried and havent noticed they work.....back off on bottles....the milk replacer and stuff will just keep him runny.....feed him weak bottles when you do until it clears up....like half stregnth.....or less! I cant remember how old he is but as long as he has been up and running around the weak bottles will be fine for him.....but do get scours control.....and electrolytes.....he will need those right now.....i'm gonna go out on a limb and leave you my number...but do delete this comment as soon as you write it down!!!! PLEASE...I have a dr apt this afternoon and running to the cattle sale tonight to see how they are selling before we send our last bunch off.....so call me tonight, I'll hunt up my home made recipie...and help ya all I can! So give me a ring tonight and we'll see what we can come up with for the little guy!
270-234-6317
RACHEL

ShareThis