Monday, May 26, 2008

Let Down

I am sorry to report that I did not get to ride my horse, not even for 5 minutes. We didn't get the tomatoes planted or the disbudding done today either.

It rained for one thing, but it didn't rain all day. We did catch Ranger and since he is white we had to give him a bath to get all of the caked on mud off of him. Then I brushed him and combed out his mane and foretop. Then we washed his tail in a five gallon bucket and put Rio Vista Detangler on it to comb it out, I gave my DH that privilege.

Then we saddled him and my DH longed him for awhile, then got on and rode him off. I had the camera ready in case he did any bucking but he didn't. He was a little impatient about the whole thing and the DH wouldn't let me ride him. But we did put him in a pen close to the barn/house so that I can start handling him some.

My DH also trimmed his hooves and he was a really bad boy for that and broke my husband's best and favorite lead rope, that is something that no horse should ever do, break his best rope.

Then we went to a friend's house for hot dogs, potato salad and watermelon. Copper and Zinc enjoyed another day of not having that hot iron applied to their heads.

Tomorrow is weaning day for Jasper and Onyx, we wean in the sign. This means that we will have to start milking twice per day now, that will really tie us down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you get a chance to ride this week....I am sure Ranger will be good to you. He knows that he is Your horse....You know how they sense those things.
Best wishes...let us know

Amy said...

It's good that Ranger got some work today, even if you didn't get a chance to ride him too. Horses need to be challenged mentally, and it sounds like he got some of that.

I don't envy you for having to disbud those kids. That's not fun. It's not so bad when it's done on something that doesn't bond with people well (like a calf) but goats become pets really quickly, so it's harder to hurt them that way. But I'm sure they'll forgive and forget.

I haven't milked goats since I was in high school. It really does tie you down, but the milk is oh-so-good! I wish I had a dairy goat now. I am jealous!

ShareThis