Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Moon Shadows

If you didn't go for a walk in the moonlight last night, then you just aren't living. I took two walks last night. For some reason, it may be a compulsion, I have to take a short tour of the grounds before I go to bed. My tour last night was just inspiring, that harvest moon was a thing of beauty.

I marveled at my shadow that was so clearly defined. Two of the goats were out and snoozing in the driveway along with their faithful companion, Angel. She was bright white, soft and cuddly in the moonlight when she ambled over to me for a rub and a hug. I enjoyed the scenery for a few minutes then went to bed.

I had a rough night, I couldn't get to sleep. I had a headache most of the day yesterday and it got worse when I laid down. When I did finally doze off, I kept waking up in pain, then my stomach started complaining about something I ate. I promised myself that I would quit eating spicy stuff right before bed, then later I promised myself not to eat anything before going to bed, still later I promised myself not to ever eat anything spicy at anytime of the day. I ended up promising myself never to eat again period!

As I flopped about the bed with all of these thoughts, pains and promises, Angel and Abby both started pitching a fit. They normally bark throughout the night to ward off predators but this was different, this was something serious that needed someone's attention and since nothing wakes my dear Husband, it fell my lot.

I walked out into the night with my tiny flashlight that wasn't needed because of the brightness of the moon. The dogs fell silent as soon as I walked out and no longer seemed concerned, they had done their job, they had alerted me to a problem that really didn't affect them.

I looked around and didn't see or hear anything, then I walked around the corner of the barn and saw something that most people would love to see in the moonlight. It was just the most beautiful sight. Although I didn't have time to stand around and marvel long at it, because I had to run into the house and wake up my Husband before this beautiful sight got ugly.

There, standing in the yard, in the moonlight on his hind feet pawing at the sky was our white stallion. It took my breath away for more than one reason, it was an awesome sight, he is very beautiful. But he was also challenging our Grullo Stud, who was only one tiny electric wire away from him and he was making some challenging moves himself. They had already broke one wire and the valley soon filled with violent screams and squeals.

It was really no big deal, I woke the man and he grabbed a halter and lead rope, I went back out and yelled at them. They were like a couple of kids who had been caught doing something wrong. Badger trotted off and Jazz started pacing the fence but stopped and stood still as quick as my DH said his name. He haltered him and put him in the corral for the night, then went back to bed. He is out fixing fence this morning. He had two days off in a row, that is just amazing.

As for me, I have still sworn off food. I did have a glass of goat's milk this morning and that seems to have settled things down for a little while. My head is still aching, so I am thinking that I have probably contracted the bout of flu that has been making the rounds.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI VICKY,
I AGREE ABOUT THE HARVEST MOON... WE OFTEN RIDE LATE BECAUSE OF THE DAYS GETTING SHORTER. I DON'T GET OUT OF WORK UNTIL 4:30 AND GET TO THE BARN BY 5.THEN TACK UP AND AWAY WE GO WITH NO CONCERNS OF DARKNESS UNTIL IT IS DARK. THE MOON HAS BEEN A BEACON FOR OUR RIDE BACK AND IT IS SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL. WE HAVE NOT COME ACROSSED A BEAUTIFUL WHITE STALLION PAWING AT THE MOON, BUT HAVE COME ACROSS DANCEING DEER AND HOWLING COYOTES!!
CHERYL HAS A BEAUTIFUL BLACK STALLION BUT HE HAS NOT BEEN SEEN PAWING AT THE HARVEST MOON..I WILL ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS!!

KAREN IN MASS

Pintura Springs said...

Hi, Karen, thanks for the comments. How is Shay doing? Send more pictures when you can.

Amy said...

We are enjoying the beautiful moon here in Ohio too. We took a moonlit walk and everything is so well lit that it's hard to believe it's night. The mental image of a white stallion pawing at the moon is breathtaking! I wish I could have seen it myself.

ShareThis