Friday, March 6, 2009

Mare Waxing

This is for Kyfarmlife. I tried to leave you a comment, Rae, but I couldn't again, it may be a Firefox thing. But anyway, Georgia's udder doesn't look quite ready to me, in the picture that you posted. Mares are not as predictable as other animals. Before last year we were foaling out about 10 mares each spring. This year we only have two and then another in the fall. With the price of horses being what they are and the price of feed being what it is, we only bred two old mares that we would like to keep the bloodlines on.

We very rarely miss a foaling but we taste the milk, it goes from salty, to oily to sweet. When it turns sweet they will foal within 12 hours. I don't think that your mare will let you milk her, she sounds and looks like my TW mare. Is your mare gaited?

Here is a not-so-good picture of a waxed teat. The waxing will build up and get quite long but then fall off. Some mares never wax at all and one of our mares waxes for a full seven days before she foals.

1 comment:

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

THANKS! I'm sure we could be off on her timing...but the other symtoms lead us to believe she might be close. She is tight, but her bag isnt big...Norm said he's seen it before and that is something we will have to watch before she foals. I'm glad you posted that picture though....it gives me an idea what to look for..like I said we could very well be off on when she foals. I'm not sleeping in the barn, but I will check her tonight come early morning. Norm said that with their first timers they havent had a big bag or a lot of waxing. So who knows??? Do you think that Bute would help or harm him for his leg? The guy who came out today (got pics on my post) said it would help relieve the pain and help draw out the infection..however Kacy with Allhorsestuff read me an article last night saying that Bute can harm rather than help. I'm leaning big time against the Bute if suggested. What is your experience? What about Georgia's rear half tightening every now and then, and her vulva VERY swollen today, pacing like crazy and laying down in between, and holding her tail out wide? yeah she is a walking horse, has a beautiful gait..just as smooth as can be...however our trainer said that she is dangerous for anyone not very well experienced..very hot high spirited horse..so much so may not be able to get her out of it and plenty of exercise may not cure her..possible mistreatment before our friend aquird her..she is broke to drive, could have been source of mistreatment, we just dont know.

ShareThis