Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Scurs

For those who do not torture themselves by owning goats; (scurs are caused by a gene and they have nothing to do with bad disbudding! Don't argue with me about this because you will be wrong every time!). They either carry a Scur gene or they don't. Even naturally polled goats can have a scur gene. If you buy a naturally polled goat and he develops a scur don't accuse the previous owner of lying about his horn status. If the goat develops a firmly attached horn that does not wiggle then feel free to accuse.

My own dear Cooter has a really nice scur going on right now. Scurs come and go, they are normally somewhat like a loose tooth, you can jiggle them around a little bit. Cooter doesn't like it but we try to loosen them on occasion, he normally knocks them off himself without too much help from us but the one that he has now is getting quite large. 

They are painful when they are dislodged. They can bleed profusely, leaving him looking pretty mistreated. I always try to put a little blue medicine on the open sore, he doesn't like that either but then the only things that he really does like are Does, food, and a good scratching on his neck and horn area. 

When you mention dehorning or disbudding to goat-minded people, they usually have very strong opinions one way or the other. There are those who would never disbud because they feel that nature intended goats to have horns. They also would never ever put a baby animal through that much pain for 60 seconds. However, these same people do sometimes circumcise their male children. They also feel that horns are there for goats to protect themselves and so on... 

 The other side of this issue, which includes yours truly, believes that horns are dangerous to humans, grandchildren, and even the goats themselves. Goats are experts on sticking their heads in unusual places and mine get their heads stuck even without horns to entangle them. They can also injure their herd mates, human caregivers, and human children by accidentally catching them with a horn. 

 As far as goats protecting themselves with horns go, I believe that a pack of dogs or coyotes don't make the distinction, the horned goats taste just as good. Horned goats also run from danger just the same as unhorned goats do. I strongly believe in disbudding, dehorning an adult goat is another matter. I would not purchase a goat with horns but if the occasion did arise that I came into possession of a horned goat, I would not try to dehorn it. I would however attempt to blunt the sharp ends. 

Even a blunted, loose scur can cause you problems, as demonstrated by Cooter and his human caregiver. I had gone out to feed the rascal and he, being his impatient self was trying to help me pour the feed into the feed pan. I was bent over and he is pretty tall and we somehow got our heads together. His thick, hooked, three-inch scur weaved itself into a portion of the front of my hair that was pulled back in a bun. I also had a hair clasp in the front of my hair and the scur was between my tender scalp and the clasp. I tried to straighten up and was attached to Cooter who was by this time trying to inhale the food in the feed pan. I am not much of one to say that animals are kind, gentle, intelligent, and have human emotions but Cooter did feel the pressure on the scur and instead of jerking away like he normally does when we touch his scurs, he actually moved with me. I just knew that at any moment he would pull away to continue eating but he raised his head and let me untangle us without jerking me bald. It took me several seconds to free myself and I was even to the point of trying to take my hair down but I finally got loose. For once, I was impressed by Cooter's kindness, intelligence, gentleness, and human emotions. But what I really believe is that he was in as much of a predicament as I was in and he knew that if he jerked away it would cause him great pain. So, I still give him points for intelligence.

10 comments:

ChristyACB said...

I always wondered what those were called. Thanks for the tutorial. :)

Jennifer said...

Cooter is such a good boy! Glad you got untangled without either of you being in pain.

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

Good to know! Its called the same in cows....them goats can sure surprise you how smart they are! Glad you didnt loose your scalp! What a mess that would have been!
Rachel

Amy said...

I also didn't know the correct term "scurs"! Thanks for the education.

Anonymous said...

do people who remove horns therefore never circumcise?

Anonymous said...

I have raised goats for many years and while doing dairy, was a whole-hearted proponent of disbudding for the protection of the nanny's udder.

Having moved past that labor-intensive, but rewarding phase, I purchased twin Alpines who are lovely and enormously intelligent and entertaining. Unfortunately, when they were babes, the vet hired for the disbudding task did a total botch job. If goats were human, they'd sue for malpractice.

So the doe, Paloma, has scurs, one of which busted off in a copious flow of blood in a lost head-butting contest with her brother. It now curves toward the back of her skull. I am hopeful that Ma Nature will prevent a piercing.

The wether, Cuervo, has a full rack--totally sturdy and plenty sharp, attributes of which he is well-aware and proud as he torments my chore sidekick dog.

I will not try to remedy the problem with a saw or dremel, opting for consistent and kind behavioral training instead.

Rhonda said...

Hi, I went to your website to read goat stuff but instead I read your Bible verses! Praise the Lord and God Bless You! Keep it UP!

Anonymous said...

do you know if a scur could cause a mild lameness in a 6 month old wither, who now has dragged his hind leg for another 6 months(and gets picked on by our other 2 withers and doe)?

Pintura Springs said...

The reason that I referenced circumcision, is that I think it is telling that we would subject our children to such pain at an early age but not our animals.

I will disbud baby goats for their own good and the safety of myself and mu Grandchildren. I also have no problem with circumcision but am not so sure that it is necessary.

Pintura Springs said...

No, Scurs will not cause any problems like lameness. You might do a Google search or have a Vet look at your boy.

ShareThis