Monday, March 9, 2009

Twister

As far as I know we were not even in a tornado warning area but when the storm hit this afternoon, you could just about feel it in the air. The thunder and lightening, the hard rain followed by dime sized hail, then very strong wind gusts.

When is started to calm down I called the neighbors to check on them and even though they only live a little ways up the road they didn't get the hail. They were not even aware that they had been in any danger at all. They hadn't heard the severe thunderstorm warning.

The small town on the other side of us didn't fair as well. Several homes were destroyed, several injuries but nothing life threatening. We had to drive through the area for an appointment in town. We were nearly late because of the amount of sightseeing traffic. We passed car after car full of people just driving out to see the damage.

The Police closed the roads that were hardest hit, so other than one barn with it's roof peeled back, there wasn't much to see. When we came back through the area tonight after dark, we could see a large area with flood lights and you could still see the flashing lights on the police cars.

The people who decide whether it was a real tornado or not will be here tomorrow but since someone actually got a picture of it, I would say it was.

This is only the second time that we have had one come close to us since we have lived here but I was raised in an area that had them pass through on a regular basis, so I won't let two scare me too bad. Just another sign of Spring in Indiana.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was on Butterfly Lane at my grandma's house, we had a downpour of rain and hail for about a minute, then about two minutes after that, I looked out the back window, which faces west, I saw the tornado about 100 yards away and it was coming towards us. It went down the valley, then kind of ramped the house trailer we were in. I just thank God he was looking out for us.
Stephanie, Silverville IN

Carolyn Evans-Dean said...

Glad that you and yours are safe.

Pintura Springs said...

Stephanie, glad your family made it though without damage or injury. Yesterday will be a day that you won't soon forget. Butterfly Lane residents were the first to report seeing an actual tornado, I am not sure where the picture was taken, have you seen it?

Thanks, TheMartianChick, this is just the beginning of Tornado season, it always makes me nervous.

Claire MW said...

Wow - scary. Glad you are all OK. Iowa gets lots of tornadoes too, but not yet this year.

Anonymous said...

I was told by a co-worker that the picture was actually taken in Williams. It looked much bigger in person. According to tmnews.com it was categorized as an F3. I am just so thankful that nobody was seriously hurt.
Stephanie, Silverville IN

Amy said...

A tornado blew through our windbreak back in 1997 and brought down a lot of the pine trees. I have been too close to more than one tornado and now I'm terrified of strong storms. Nothing scares me more!

I'm glad you are alright and that you made it through the storm safely!

ShareThis