Thursday, December 27, 2007

2007 Slipping Away

2007 wasn't that bad mind you, but I think that I am ready to see it go on down the road. We had a terrible drought this past summer, the worst that I have ever seen in my 50 years. Our pastures turned to dust and no one had any hay to sell, they all put it in their own barns in order to charge outrageous prices to desperate animal owners this winter.

We did end up trading horses for hay, so we are going to make it through. Others weren't so lucky and will be in real trouble before spring. We are feeding a lot of grain this winter, which is something that we usually don't do. The idea is to feed grain, so they won't eat as much hay but it isn't working very well, they are all just getting fat. We are going to have to find a way to limit their time with the hay bales.

After experiencing this dry summer, I did say that I would never complain about rain again, so far I am doing quite well. It has been a very wet late fall and early winter. I have just about had to quit feeding all together because of the mud. My husband is doing all of my chores to prevent me from further injuring my already injured back. I hate not being able to get out but I am not complaining about the rain or the mud, I will just say that I really like cold weather and frozen ground.

No comments:

ShareThis