Wednesday, December 26, 2007

So Glad It's Over

Well Christmas has come and gone, so I can resume my normal life. I didn't get much for Christmas but I wasn't expecting much. All I asked for was 3 Barred Rock Hens but I think that I might be getting more than that, along with some Rhode Island Reds. We haven't gone to pick them up yet, so I am not sure how many there are.

Chickens are handy to have around for more reasons than just eggs, they keep the insect population down. I bought nine young hens and a rooster this summer and all but two of the hens ended up being roosters. I considered butchering them myself because I thought it might be something that I needed to be able to do, but after going online, reading the "How to's" and seeing the pictures, I decided that I wasn't ready to take that step yet. So all of the roosters ended up going to the local Sale Barn and I at least got my initial investment back.

Our biggest Christmas surprise was discovered Christmas morning after the bright full moon of Christmas Eve. Our Stallion had gotten what he had wished for from Santa Claus, he had made it into the big pasture with all of the other horses. We don't know how he did it, he had to have gone through two fences but no fences were damaged. I guess Santa just picked him up with his sleigh and carried him over. It was a Christmas nightmare for all of the geldings in the big pasture, who have missing hair, gashes and cuts. But I guess it pleased all of the unbred mares, the bred mares didn't care either way.

No comments:

ShareThis