Friday, June 13, 2008

Easy Goat Milker

I milk using my own hand milker made with a good quality spray nozzle with a stream setting, standard aquarium 7.62M tubing and a 20 ml syringe barrel, this size syringe fits my doe perfectly but my neighbor is using the same size on a doe with very small teats and she says it works great.

I wash the teats and get them good and wet before applying the syringe, this not only cleans them but the wetness helps speed up suction.

I have a stainless steel pan and a lid with a small hole in it, when I am done milking I don't even have to strain the milk, it goes right in the refrigerator. The pan never gets close to the doe, so we don't get any contamination.

I do one side at a time but from the same side. This milker only breaks suction when the teat is empty. My doe gives a gallon of milk per day and this is quicker than hand milking. I do hand milk to strip the bag out occasionally after I am done but I always get less than a cup which goes to the dog, cat or chickens. Chickens love goat's milk by the way.

We run cold water through the milker as soon as possible, then hot water with a little detergent added, then rinse. It isn't hard to clean, all you have to do is hold the syringe barrel under the tap and start squeezing the nozzle.

The best part is that my doe hates being milked and is a kicker but she stands still for this method. Today for the very first time, I opened the gate and she went to the barn and jumped up on the milk stand all by herself. This is real progress!

This picture was taken before I got my stainless steel pan.


My husband has always enjoyed milking by hand but he really likes this, we kinda fight over who gets to milk now. This has taken all of the worry out of getting the milk dirty and I can sit down beside the milk stand and relax for a few minutes. I switch hands back and forth, so it isn't as tiring as hand milking. Even my young grandchildren can milk with this.

If you want to make one for yourself, make sure there are no holes in it anywhere to break the suction and having a good nozzle is important, you have to have a nozzle with a stream setting.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

You never cease to amaze me.

She

Anonymous said...

Milking a dairy goat is one thing, but getting milk from a meat goat, without training a toddler to do it, is another. WOW! Finally an easy way of getting that valuable colostrum.

Thanks to you [for finding it] and Spinners for coming up with it.

Carol
www.CoyoteRidgeFarms.com
West-central MN

Anonymous said...

Ooops!

I thought I was commenting on another blog. Either way... thanks much.

Carol
www.CoyoteRidgeFarms.com
West-central MN

Linda Foley said...

This is great! I had thought about buying Maggindan's Milker but now I think I will make my own! Thanks!

Mightyheidi said...

Where did you get the stainless steel pan with lid that has small hole? I'd like to try that! How much does it hold?

Mightyheidi said...

Where did you get the stainless steel pan with a lid? I'd love to see that as well.

Heidi

Judy Hancock said...

How do you get the syringe on the teat? I have tried to screw it on, push it on, everything.

Pintura Springs said...

Heidi, the stainless steel pan is the kind they use on buffets for soup. The hole in the top is for the ladle.

Judy, the secret to getting suction is to have a wet teat and a good strong spray nozzle. If you are putting the syringe on a wet teat and pumping around six times without getting an attachment, then you need a stronger spray nozzle.

Spray nozzles with short bursts will not work. You have to have a nozzle that has a long draw (pull) to it.

As a matter of fact, I can't find a new nozzle myself right now and am milking by hand. Walmart used to carry a pretty good empty spray bottle but the one they are carrying now won't work.

Tractor Supply has a great spray bottle with nozzle in their horse supply area but it is expensive and the nozzle wears out very quickly.

A really good nozzle that is strong and lasts a little longer than some of the others I have tried is the one on the "Little Giant" Professional Series Sprayer by the Miller Manufacturing Company.

I got mine from a Farm Supply Store but they aren't carrying them anymore. I did find one on a website but I have never ordered from there, so I can't really recommend them. www.avtack.com

You could also try looking at Lowes, I am going to go there the next time I have a reason to go to town.

Milking this way does wear out spray nozzles very quickly, so if you find one that works and that you like, you had better buy more than one.

I took some pictures and a video a few days ago of my milker and pan in action. I plan to post them as soon as I can get the video uploaded to youtube.

Anonymous said...

Does the sprayer wear out, or does it clog up? If you don't have to filter your milk this way, doesn't that mean all the crud is sticking inside your device?

Pintura Springs said...

My spray nozzles do wear out pretty quickly but I have never had one clog up.

If you clean the teat thoroughly, you don't have any crud. I rinse my device with cold water as quickly as possible, then run hot water with a little Basic H through it.

I put bleach through it about once per month.

Jen said...

This is so awesome! Thank you for sharing this. My husband found it last night and we are excited to try this. Of course our first Doe hasn't even given birth yet and isn't due for another week, but it gives us something to look forward to try. lol

Blessings,
JEN

Anonymous said...

GENIUS! I love it! I am so makeing me one you have just solved all my problems and saved me a ton of money! bless you for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

I think this a genius idea! I tried it, but it is not working for me. I think it may be because the teats are so little . It is a Mini LaMancha goat. How close is the syringe supposed to fit on?

Kristy Tillman said...

Just curious if you're still using this method? Have you found that it retains any bacteria? I had found a battery operated spray gun...I don't think I ever used it and got rid of it at our last garage sale. Go figure. Wonder if something like that would work?
Thanks for the idea!
Kristy

Pintura Springs said...

Actually, I no longer have a milk goat. Well, I do have a goat but she is no longer producing. So, I guess she is no longer a milk goat.

We have made several attempts at getting her bred and she keeps aborting, so we have stopped trying. I am currently in the market for a young doe either bred or already freshened.

ShareThis