Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Calf Bloat Update

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms posted on her blog some tips and a link in my comments about Angus' bloat and I am sorry that I haven't left you a comment, well actually I tried but it just wouldn't work.

I am so happy that you got DSL, some of us are going to be on Dial-up forever it seems.

Angus hasn't had another episode of bloat, just those three times, I doctored him like I would a goat with bloat which was baking soda, veg. oil and bouncing his belly.

I talked to a neighbor who raises around a 100 bottle calves a year and he said that he has a chronic bloating calf right now that he put a plastic valve in. He said that she was the first chronic bloater that he has ever had. He has only had to tube a few on rare occasions in the past.

I am not sure what caused this in Angus but he is over it now, he may have just gotten too much green grass because we were in the process of weaning him. He may have gotten into the goat mineral also.

I am not too happy with him, he nearly killed me yesterday trying to get me to give him a bottle. He is too big to punch and butt me. I couldn't get away from him, he kept circling me and spinning me around. I got so tired and dizzy that I thought that I would go down.

I am on foal watch with Jetta right now, she is waxed and ready to go. I set up with her last night and hopefully she will go early this evening or early tonight.

3 comments:

Christy said...

I'm not happy with my sheep right now, so I understand the feeling.

Jiller said...

Glad to hear that Angus is better, perhaps try feeding him through a fence instead of going in the pen with him! Good Luck on foaling!

Jill

Pintura Springs said...

Christy, I have been told by my ex-sheepherder neighbor that sheep can be hard to handle. I have never owned one so I don't know, but she said that goats are much easier to work with.

Jiller, unfortunately he is in with our goats and our nesting boxes, so I have to go in with him. Once he forgets about the bottle, I think he will quit being so demanding.

ShareThis