Monday, April 20, 2009

Cushings Disease

Trouble
Our first experience with Equine Cushings Disease has arrived. Our best foundation Appaloosa broodmare has Cushings.

We rescued Trouble many years ago along with her yearling daughter after she had just lost a foal, she was in horrible shape, running with a stallion and pregnant again. She also was unsound in a front leg, she has always had a slight limp that gets no worse or better. She lost the foal that she was pregnant with when we got her and we nearly lost her. A kind Vet spent a lot of time with her that night through the early morning hours. The foal was a gorgeous black and white leopard filly.

Trouble has given us some of our best foals and we never have a problem selling her babies. She has produced a black filly with large spots on her rump, a black colt with blanket, a palomino leopard, a palomino few spot (Ranger, my gelding), a blanketed Buckskin colt, a sorrel blanketed filly (when bred to a sorrel AQHA stallion), and her last foal was a blanketed Buckskin filly. In addition to the beautiful babies that she gives us, some of them are Indian Shufflers like my gelding Ranger.

We bred her back last year after a year's rest and this winter she has started showing all of the signs of serious Cushing's Disease. She has a long wavy coat that will not shed this spring, has lost muscle tone and stands at the water trough most of the day. She is drinking tons of water. She has not gotten laminitis (founder) yet, but from what I have read about horses with Cushings, it is just a matter of time.

There is no cure, it is a tumor that grows on the pituitary gland. However, you can treat the symptoms, give them back a normal life and extend they lives with treatment. In researching the disease, I found that normal Veterinarian treatment is very expensive on a monthly basis. But I found many good reports on a natural treatment that works just as well without any complications.

The treatment I found is Chaste Tree Berries, I could buy a liquid form that is as expensive as the other chemical medicines that I have researched. So I thought surely there must be a cheaper way to go. Then I found this rescue site: Eye of the Storm. I am thankful for the information that I found there.

I began my search for whole Chaste Tree Berries in bulk that I could grind myself. I would also have to buy a coffee grinder since I don't have one. Then I looked on eBay and found a powdered form of Chaste Tree Berries from as seller who sells natural remedies. I purchased 3 lbs. for $9.40 per lb. I think she will only have to have 1 Tb. once or twice per day, so this will be a very cheap alternative treatment.

According to what I have read, we should start seeing results very quickly, so I will report how she is doing, along with pictures, here on my blog from time to time.

7 comments:

Punky said...

I hate to hear that about Trouble, she is a such a sweetie. Let us know what is up with it...
Hang in there

Jiller said...

The wonders of the internet! Just think 20 years ago we had to drive to a library to find information and most of that was from out of date books! So glad you found something that will help Trouble! Please keep us update!
Hugs
Jiller

KAREN IN MASS said...

I AM SORRY TO HEAR SHAY'S MOM HAS CUSHINGS DISEASE. SHE SEEMED VERY SWEET WHEN WE SAW HER. THE DAY WE PICKED UP SHAY ZEE.. SHAY IS JUST AS SWEET.
IN YOUR READING OF CUSHINGS DOES IT SAY IT IS HERETITARY?? JUST WONDERING ..GOOD LUCK WITH THE REMEDY!!!

KAREN

Lori Walker said...

I've been doing research on this myself, my 26 yr. old gelding has been showing symptoms for several years now, but has had 2 negative tests. I'm kicking myself for not doing something sooner. I'm starting him on the berry today, so I'll keep an eye on your blog, and let you know my results also!!

Pintura Springs said...

Punky, Jiller and Lori, I can't wait for my order to get here and get her started. I will definitely keep you posted.

Karen, I have searched online and I can't find out whether it is inherited or not.

Lori, please do let me know about your gelding. I would also be interested to know how you are giving the treatment.

Unknown said...

Hi all,

I came across your group while looking for info on Chaste Tree Berry. I have a 26 year old mare with Cushings who's been doing extremely well for five years on a medication called Trilostane. Yesterday, our annual ACTH test came back almost double what it was last year. I've found info that Chaste Tree Berry can be helpful but I can't really find much about dosage. This mare is about 1150 pounds. Any ideas about what the proper dosage of Chaste Tree Berry would be for her?

Anonymous said...

I started doing some research on this because recently my 21 yer old mare has been showing signs of cushings disease. We can't afford to have her tested but we told the vet the symptoms and that's what he came up with. This helped give me some insight in what I should do to help her. Thank you

ShareThis