Friday, April 24, 2009

Calf Bloat

Angus is now 12 weeks old, he looks really good and has been very healthy but yesterday evening he developed bloat. I gave him baking soda and a little veg. oil. My DH bounced his belly around until we got some good burps.

I checked on him at around 2:00 am and he was bloated again, went through the same process plus gave him yogurt and he responded well again.

I just went out and he looks bloated again. Any ideas what I can do and what we are doing wrong to cause this??

My DH is still giving him a bottle once per day just to get rid of the replacer that we have. He has free choice calf starter, calf manna, hay, grass and water.

3 comments:

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

hmmmm Its not as common for a cow to get bloat just on the bottle, or normal feeding. I would suggest a visit from the Vet...you can loose them VERY quickly within minutes if the bloat is not taken care or. He needs the air asperated..is that the word> What I mean is a small hole made into the gut with a needle. Dont do this yourself...only by a vet. The burping helps, but may not be enough if he is still bloated. What signs is he showing exaclty and I'll ask the expert (NORM!) what he thinks. Just be careful and I really would call the vet. You can loose them within 20 minutes...yeah its that bad. Let me know! my email is on my blog...that solution your giving with the baking soda is helpful, but sometimes (and often) they need more.

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

Hi there, I posted some info about bloat on my blog for you....its very rare for a calf to get bloat...unless he is over eating, which is how they get bloat...I hope its helpful info. let me know how little bit is doing.

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

Here is some information that another blogger who raises cattle gave me...lists the cow diseases and symptoms and cures..I hope this helps you!!!
http://www.thecattlesite.com/diseaseinfo/199/bloat-in-cattle

ShareThis