Monday, April 13, 2009

Wrinkled Egg

Infectious Bronchitis

Wrinkled Egg

I found this egg Saturday, I would call it a wrinkled egg. I have found similar eggs before but not as bad as this one. This can be caused by Infectious Bronchitis in hens which is caused by the Coronavirus. There are other things that can cause wrinkled eggs too but I am thinking that this hen has had IB in her past and she has permanent damage to her oviduct.

Since I don't have any chickens with respiratory problems right now or runny eyes, I think that this was in her past. The good news is that once they have it, they have permanent immunity to it. This is probably just one hen because there is always one very long brown egg that is occasionally misshaped.

Our Chickens are currently giving us 12 to 17 eggs per day. All of my bantams are finally laying. So far no one has gone broody, if I weren't wanting baby chicks they would all be hiding nests and setting.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Interesting egg, I learned something today!

Amy said...

I learned something too. What a strange looking egg. It looks like it was made of papier mache'!

stef said...

i just got eggs from our csa today. one of them is a wrinkled egg. i just want to know one thing -- are they okay to eat? thanks!

Pintura Springs said...

As long as the egg inside looked good, I would eat it. But that's just me!

ShareThis