Friday, April 10, 2009

No Poo

If you are not up to date on what is going on in the world today, you will not understand my title but if you are keeping yourself current on current events you will know that it is just cool to be green.

Being green makes everyone feel better about themselves as they try to leave little impact on the earth, so that the earth will still be here and going strong long after they are buried and forgotten.

I am normally not a very green person, I figure that the earth was here when I was born and it will still be here after I die. I don't suppose that I make too much of a carbon footprint or have too much of an effect on the ozone or global warming. I try not to emit greenhouse gases like cows do.

I have recently started doing some things that I find interesting and maybe even saving a few pennies now and then. I have taken the No Poo Challenge. This was mentioned to me by my cloth diapering Daughter-in-law. If you would like to learn more about it all you have to do is a Google search for "No Poo".

It is basically getting rid of the shampoo in your life. There are two different methods that I have tried. One is using Baking Soda to wash your hair, then rinsing in Vinegar. I didn't like this method and it made my scalp itch. The method that I am using is simply washing your hair with a good quality hair conditioner.

I don't know why exactly that shampoo is bad for the environment but I was intrigued by the fact that it gets rid of greasy hair. I started my adventure going poo-less around the first of February and I love the results. My hair looks cleaner longer between washings, it is softer, I have no more dandruff and it is easier to style.

I use the conditioner just like I would shampoo. I have to use a lot because of my long hair and I spend quite a bit of time massaging it into my scalp. Then I rinse my hair thoroughly. Combing my hair out after washing it is so much easier with very few tangles and I have hardly any hair in my comb or brush when finished.

Now here is the trick, you won't see these results until you have used this method for around a month or so. Shampoo dries the scalp and therefore causes oil production. Your scalp has to have time to adjust to the change. So for awhile you will still have oily hair.

My DH decided to try it and after doing it for a few weeks, he reported that his hair was not falling out as bad. He normally left a lot of hair in the tub after his showers.

In addition to this I have also purchased some cloths to use as wet-ones and have been experimenting with different recipes for the wet part. I am also going to stop using paper towels and am looking into alternatives. You can actually get cloth towels that fit right on your paper towel holder and snap apart. I may end up liking this green stuff, who knows. After all, money is green and I do like that.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

By reading the title, I thought this blog entry was going to be about constipation :) lol

ShareThis