Friday, January 23, 2009

A Better Mousetrap

In my opinion, it has finally happened. Someone has finally built a better mousetrap. Now if you have had these mousetraps in your home for years, you will have to excuse me, because I don't get to town very often and these are new to me.

When we bought some sacks of grain cheaply at Orscheln because they had holes in them, we became inundated with mice. I believe that these were foreign mice who came here from Orscheln in the feed sacks. Where they came from before that, I do not know.

This theory is supported by the fact that while at Orscheln, I seen mice in several different locations scampering about. As a matter of fact, I was surprised by the fact that I didn't hear people screaming all around me but then I think we were the only customers in the store.

This may have been a good sales gimmick used by Orscheln to sell mousetraps. There was just something about the store that made you remember to pick some up. I had three choices:
  1. The traditional, wooden, finger crushing traps that bring fear to my heart every time I see one.
  2. A newfangled plastic clothespin type trap
  3. A more expensive, more complicated plastic trap.
I chose number two and here it is:



All you have to do with this trap is smear some peanut butter up under the top lip and the little mouse comes along and while trying to reach the peanut butter with his tiny mouth, he steps on the metal trigger and SNAP, he is history. This trap is easy to bait, set and empty, they come two in a package.

Since I was so happy with this trap, I thought that I would try the other plastic trap the next time I was at Orscheln. So, I bought them last night and have them set but haven't caught anything yet. But I haven't seen or heard any mice in a long time, they must have all heard that I got some new, more sophisticated traps.

Here is the other trap:


Now with this trap, you put your bait of choice into the well in the center of the trap by raising the lid on the well, as seen in the second picture. Next you close the lid then pull up the spring loaded bar by the handy loop provided, this sets the trap.

The tiny mouse comes along, smells the bait, hears his little tummy growling and sticks his twitching nose into the hole on the front of the lid over the well. As he sticks his nose farther into the well the lid lifts up and springs the trap. The bar then SNAPS down onto the cute little mouse and he or she is history also.

I should be ashamed of myself, I should have compassion. Who am I, that I should judge the life of a tiny mouse as less valuable than the life of any other creature. I should get live traps and relocate the cute little mice to your house.

8 comments:

Christy said...

Exactly! LOL.

Anonymous said...

WELL, I GUESS I AM THE ONLY ONE TO SAY THAT MICE DO HAVE A PURPOSE OF SOME SORT..I DON'T KNOW WHAT BUT I AM NEITHER AFRAID OF THEM NOR REPULSED BY THEM..I DO THINK THEY'RE CUTE BUT NOT IN MY KITCHEN OR WALLS!!!
I WOULD BE THE TYPE TO GET A HAV-A-HEART TRAP AND BRING THEM INTO THE WOODS TO LET THEM GO!! I KNOW, I KNOW, THEY WILL JUST COME BACK BUT SO WILL ALL THE ONES NOT KILLED BY TRAPS. IT IS A VISIOUS CIRCLE!!!

KAREN IN MASS

Anonymous said...

You go girl...As long as they stay at a distance and out of my house and my feed, I am good with it, but if they come near, they are toast!

Jennifer said...

We got some goat mineral discounted at our Orsheilens because a mouse had chewed a small hole in it. Sounds like they need to be using their own traps! LOL.

DayPhoto said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mus_musculus

House mice can transmit diseases, and can damage food and food packaging. They can also cause substantial damage when feeding on grain. It is thought that house mice were the primary reason for the taming of the domestic cat.

I have also read that mice will travel BACK to thier place of birth even if it is five miles away, although they will not cross water.

I am not a fan of mice.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Tracy Bruring said...

lol i found one of the first kind under my sink when I was doing fall cleaning and didn't know at all what it was!!!

Claire MW said...

I love mice. One of my early blog posts was on a cute little deer mouse in my barn. I don't want them in my house though. I watch them in the barn if I can find them. I was a strange kid though - always liked mice and other little rodents. I have a live trap and will trap them and take them to the woods behind my workplace and release them. That is 21 miles away. I've handled lots of mice and never got a disease or anything from them. Yet.

Pintura Springs said...

I just knew that their would be those who were sympathetic to the little varmints. You have inspired another blog post for me.

ShareThis