Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Weather Update

I measured 6 inches of snow yesterday morning in our driveway. Then the freezing rain started, we got around 3/4 of an inch of ice before the freezing rain and sleet turned back into snow overnight. When we woke up this morning we had an additional 6 inches of snow on top of the ice.

When I went out in the sunshine early today I could stay up on top of the ice, so I was only wading through six inches of snow. Later on the ice didn't hold me up so well and it got a little treacherous. My feet would sink softly into the snow then the ice floor would break with a thudding sound and I would sink down another six inches.

The problem with this was that you had to concentrate on stepping straight up out of your ice footprint or your toes would catch under the ice layer and you would fall on you face in the snow. This was something that I had to keep reminding myself of.

After paths were made in the snow and it all got packed, I could walk across the bottom strand of electric fence wire without lifting my feet to step over. It wasn't even visible. I also had to bend down to unhook the top gate wire. The stone step into my goat/chicken shed was level with the packed snow, so all in all I felt a little taller today than I have been feeling.

I took on a new rescue responsibility today and if it lives through the night tonight I will share the story and pictures with you tomorrow.

4 comments:

Peggy said...

I know its hard caring for the animals in snow and ice but its so beautiful and peaceful I can't help but love it. Can't wait to read about your rescue

Anonymous said...

GOOD MORNING,
WE GOT ALOT OF SNOW HERE IN MASS ALSO. WE GOT ABOUT 8" THEN IT STARTED TO SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN. IT BURIED THE GOAT'S WATER BUCKET AND I HAD TO DIG SOME OF IT OUT BEFORE WORK THIS MORNING. AND THE GATE WOULDN'T OPEN BECAUSE OF THE SNOW/ICE MIX.I ALSO WALKED "DOWN" INTO THEIR SHED. I MADE IT SO IT WAS ABOUT A FOOT OFF THE GROUND. I GUESS AFTER WORK AND AFTER THE HORSES AT THE BARN I WILL GO HOME AND DEAL WITH THE POOR GOAT'S WATER AND GATE. I AM SURE THEY ARE HAVING A BLAST IN THE SNOW!! THE HORSES TOO!
WELL GOTTA GET BACK TO WORK!! JUST THINK SPRING. OH I FORGOT YOU LIKE WINTER!!! SORRY!! BUT I WANNA RIDE!!!CAN'T IF THERE IS ICE EVERYWHERE!

KAREN IN MASS

DayPhoto said...

Thank you for bringing us up to date! I have been concerned for all of my blogging friends caught in this huge storm.

Goodness! You DO have lots of snow....the you have snow covering the top of your fence...now that is snow.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR RESCUE!! WHATEVER HAPPENS, IT WILL HAVE BEEN WELL TAKEN CARE OF!!!

KAREN IN MASS

ShareThis