Thursday, January 8, 2009

Production Up

I don't know what is going on around here but both egg and milk production has gone up. We have gone from 5 eggs per day to 8 eggs per day. I have also been getting more milk from my doe. I don't know what has changed other than the year. Perhaps my hens and doe made New Year's resolutions to provide more for the humans that feed and care for them.

I milk using a hand spray nozzle, if you didn't read my blog about it back in June of 2008, here it is: Easy Goat Milker. I sold the goat that I was milking at the time of that blog. She gave more milk than we could use and we had to hobble her because she would occasionally kick up a hind foot.

I am milking her daughter now, who is a dream to milk. She had been giving around one and a half quarts of milk per day. She would give more if I milked twice per day but I am lazy and don't need the extra milk anyway. But for some reason she is giving a full two quarts now.

I have gone through two spray nozzles since I started milking with this milker. They just eventually wear out. The last one wore out last week and when my DH went into town to pick up a new one he couldn't find a good quality one. So he brought home a cheap, small one.

I didn't think that it would work but since I didn't have another choice, I hooked it up. It doesn't have enough suction to start the flow of milk but if I hand squeeze the syringe full of milk before attaching it, it works just fine, in other words it has to be primed each time, whereas the better quality nozzle is a self-primer.

It also takes me twice as long to milk with this new nozzle because it doesn't have the same long draw that the better one has. It shoots the milk out in shorter streams. My fingers are getting some arthritis in them and hand milking is hard for me but the main reason that I like this milker is because I can keep the milk clean.

Calico gives extremely good tasting milk like her mother did. I have tasted milk from some goats that just wasn't good. I know that milk flavor can change with diet or even with milk handling but I also believe that different goats can produce a variety of flavors because of fat content.

I am having a glass of milk while I am typing this and it is perfect. However a few days ago I had to give a whole milking to the dogs because the taste was off. It was the first time I had ever had to do that with Calico's milk. I have no idea what went wrong with that batch other than we had changed feed brands. Needless to say, the horses got the rest of that sack and we went back to the old brand for Calico.

7 comments:

The Scavenger said...

WOW, that easy goat milker just made the top of my list of things I MUST have. Thanks so much for the link. It's great that production is up. Do you use all of your eggs and milk or do you sell or trade your extra?? This post is perfect timing for me as you may well know my milking adventure as of late. Thank you much.

Chris

The Scavenger said...

Looking for pics of that milk stand you have.

Chris

The Scavenger said...

I can't seem to find an easy goat milker online anywhere. Could you tell me where I can get one or did you make it? Thanks

Chris

The Scavenger said...

OK, went back and read it again and I see that you did make it. I was too excited to read it all well. Gonna round up supplies and make one. Thanks for the inspiration.

Chris

Peggy said...

I am going to try to make my own milker. Thanks for sharing your invention!

Pintura Springs said...

I didn't actually invent the milker, but I did make it. I got the idea from others who had made them online.

Chris, I sell eggs to two regular customers in the winter and to whoever wants them in the summer when I have plenty. I also give them to our grown kid's families but neither of them are big egg consumers.

I don't sell milk because it is illegal, I do give it to the kids if they want it. In this state you can't sell or give away milk but you can sell a part interest in a milk goat or cow then take payments for the feed and board of the animal and give them their own milk from their own animal.

I will try to get some pictures of my milk stand for you.

Amy said...

I think the animals know when the equinox is over. They can sense those extra minutes each day. I noticed production went up after the equinox in Dec. Amazing!

ShareThis