Monday, January 19, 2009

Fire!

We were on our way to town today, when I noticed smoke on the south side of our property and pointed it out. My DH was not concerned and was turning in the opposite direction when he reached the road at the end of our driveway.

He thought that is was a brush fire started by one of the neighbors and not our concern. He always tends to look at things in a positive way, expecting the best. I, on the other hand, tend to look at things in a realistic way and expect the worst. He constantly reminds me of this fact, only he calls me negative instead of realistic.

I finally convinced him that the smoke looked like it was actually coming from the corner of our property which now belongs to our youngest Son. Still staying in positive mode, my DH then suggested that it was probably our Son because he had the day off today. He did however reluctantly turn in that direction.

When we got closer we realized that it was a neighbor's field that was on fire and there was no one there watching over it, so it must have been an accidental fire of some sort. If left to burn it would quickly reach the woods and then it might be pretty hard to get under control.

We called 911 on our cell phone and got a neighboring county who quickly transferred our call to the proper county. I guess we are using a cell tower in the neighboring county, so that is something that you need to take into consideration when calling 911.

We placed the call at 2:00, the first fire truck arrived at 2:07 and they had the fire completely put out by 2:13. I was impressed, they put out the fire around the telephone poles first, then just drove around the field with two trucks spraying water on the flames.

We probably don't think much about our local volunteer firefighters until we need them. They do a great job and are taken for granted most of the time.

7 comments:

Claire MW said...

Oh my goodness! What a great thing you saw it, and what a good thing you investigated. That could have been awful. Kudos to the fire department. I'm so glad nobody was hurt.

Amy said...

Thank goodness you saw the fire before it was too late! I'm glad there wasn't any damage.

Anonymous said...

I live in the Indian Creek Township, and they are great. My grandma was having her hay field baled (also in Indian Creek area) and one of the bales caught fire, while still in the baler, the volunteers were there and the fire was out in less than 15 min. We did loose the baler though, it was a small price to pay, considering what could have happened.

Christy said...

I'm glad you were there and the fire men responded so quickly! I also like that you are realistic and not negative. I am too.

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

Scary! Your DH sounds like my DH...Good thing he listened tho! maybe he will listen better next time you have a gut instinct...yes its just reality not negativity! LOL
Lesson learned on Pay Pal huh??? Sorry that happened...I'm glad you posted that, now I know to be sure to do the same when I sell my soaps!!!!!! One day You may have saved my butt with that post !!!!
:-D
Rachel
BTW I think I got my commenting prob fixed! YEa i can comment again!

Jennifer said...

That sounds like my husband and me! I am glad you saw it and the fire department got it taken care of quickly!

DayPhoto said...

Good for you! It's neighbors like you who save farms and lives.

Our neighbor decided to move to Paonia, but he still had his place for it hadn't sold. So one day he came down and started burning the weeds in the ditches etc., thought the fire was out and went back to Paonia.

Then a little wind came up....

And it shooshed across the hay field up the our hill and headed toward our farm equipment by the time one of the neighbors was driving by and called it in.

We were out there trying to beat by the flames and move the implements when the volunteer firemen showed up. It took all of them 16 neighbors and our whole family from 4 until 10 that night to get the thing under control.

The fire only ruined farm ground, pasture and fences, we were able to save barns, corrals, and all the euipment and pipe.

You are heros!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

ShareThis