Saturday, January 31, 2009

Night Glitter

To update my previous post, all of my hens came home wagging their tails behind them. I don't know where they have been the last few days but they seem to be fine. I would imagine that they were just under a shelter of some sort. Then the snow piled up around them and they couldn't escape until the sun came out today and warmed things up.

I had a most amazing walk that I was going to blog about and forgot. It got really cold last night and after I got all of my feeding and milking done and had gone into my toasty house for the night. I remembered that I had forgotten to feed Angel and Abby. Well, there was no hurry, I warmed up and did a few things inside. Later I wrapped back up, fixed their food and went back out into the frigid night.

I had my headlight on which gives you a new prospective on things in the night, all of the animals eyes glow because you have this bright light so close to your own eyes. But what was so amazing about last night was that there was a freezing fog.

Oh my, it was the most beautiful thing. The air temperature was so cold that the fog was freezing into tiny, sparkling ice particles floating in the air. Wow! It was like walking through suspended glitter and it was everywhere. I could have stayed out all night if it hadn't been so cold, but if it hadn't been so cold it wouldn't have been such a glittery world. And to think that I would never had experienced it if I had just had a flashlight in my hand.

3 comments:

Claire MW said...

Wow, I've never seen this but now I want to! I need to get a headlamp I suppose. Yours sounds interesting. Did you blog about it with a picture somewhere?

Hidden Brook Farm said...

Think some of the prettiest night skies are in the dead of winter. Glad you were able to get out & enjoy!

Have enjoyed reading your blog & have awarded you the Lemonade Stand Award.

DayPhoto said...

I have never had the opportunity to see such a thing. We sure are blessed if we take the time to see the blessings, aren't we?

Thank you for sharing with us. And I loved the chicken dryer story!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

ShareThis