Saturday, January 24, 2009

Mouse Follow-Up

I knew that my last post would provoke feelings of sympathy in folks of a more gentle nature. The comment was made that mice have a purpose, this is true and I can even tell you what those purposes are.

Mice provide protein for other living creatures, they are on my cat Garfield's preferred delicacy menu. Followed closely by beautiful song birds. Mice also provide nutrition for snakes, foxes and hawks to name only a few.

They are also used in research for diseases, product, pharmaceutical and food safety, they are sacrificed for our well being and the well being of our pets.

You could say that the mouse is a very useful creation, he is also noble to give up his life for the benefit of others.

That said, I do not condone the use of mice or the killing of mice strictly for human entertainment, even though I do admit to laughing when the chickens are fighting over one.

I have not been able to photograph the feeding frenzy that a group of chickens will lower themselves to when one catches a mouse. It is just too comical to see the owner of the mouse run for it's life with 25 other chickens in hot pursuit.

The mouse is usually stripped away several times and the pursuit changes direction with each steal, the pursuers sometimes lose track of who they are suppose to be chasing. It reminds me of a football game.

I have been able to snap a picture of the capture of a frog but when a hen is running for it's life, it is very difficult to get the shot while running with the rest of the chickens, they don't play fair, they try to trip you.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great picture! I am impressed, it could not have been easy to get such a nice picture of a chicken running like that. Pretty chicken too!

Christy said...

I've yet to see such antics from my chickens. I can't wait! I think it will be fun to watch.

Kelly said...

I never knew that chickens went after mice! When we first moved to the farm, the barn was over run with mice/rats. At least several hundred. It took our 8 cats 1 week to decimate the population. I was worried that the cats would get attacked. We have no mouse/rat problems at all and are able to store grain in the barn, out in the open. I love our mousers. I think they are the purrrrfect mouse trap.
Kelly

Amy said...

Great picture! My chooks love to eat frogs and they spend a lot of time around the pond in the warm months, searching for a froggie snack. I don't know if they've ever caught a mouse. I've never seen them do it anyway, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. Chickens will try to eat anything they think they can fit in their gullets!

Anonymous said...

ALL I CAN SAY IS "MOUSEKETBALL" ANYONE???

DayPhoto said...

I've had mice run into the chicken house, thinking to get away and bam, suddenly it is pecked TO DEATH!

Chickes are fast! I love the photo, I never seem to have the camera handy when something neat like that happens.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

ShareThis