Friday, February 1, 2008

Bobcat Tracks?

Update on Maude the fat hen: She is still with us and seems to be doing well. She has now survived both an Opossum and Bobcat attack.

Here are the pictures of the tracks that I found in the mud the next morning, I had walked all around in the pen the night before, trying to catch the chickens, so both the chickens and myself ruined most of the tracks and there were some tracks that had chicken prints on top of them. It was very sloppy and muddy that night, but it did freeze later on after I emptied the pen.

Bobcat Toe Tracks
Several clawless toe tracks

Bobcat Track
Heal at the top and toes at the bottom, only 4 toes are actually visible here.

Other reasons that we feel this was a Bobcat is because of the speed at which it got into the dog kennel and out of it. I was in the house, my dog started barking, I heard the chain link rattle, then the chickens started screaming and I was out there very quickly without even taking the time to put on a coat. We really don't feel that a coon or coyote could have scaled that fence that quickly.

Also the size of the puncture wounds and the damage that was done to the hen in that span of time and the reaction of our horses, who were very spooked, they see coyotes, foxes and possums all the time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like tracks my hubby showed me once...hope you catch that booger, will you be able to patch your coat with its fur???
Or maybe you could make a stole out of it to wear to church??
Just a thought

Pintura Springs said...

That was something else that I bought at Walmart yesterday, an iron on patch for my coat.

I don't want to kill the Bobcat, as long as he doesn't start making this a habit.

Anonymous said...

Oh well I think I would try to get him like you did the mouse if it was me...I am sure he will be back...(Or her)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it is a protected species, unfortunately chickens aren't. If it is protected can you help it to the great hunting grounds on the other side if it is continually a threat to your livestock? Also, is it big enough to make an area rug out of?
Just wondering

ShareThis