Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Goat Milk Lotion

Yes, I know that I didn't blog yesterday but I had already started this one when the storms came through and I had to shut off my computer. Then we lost our electricity, so I never finished it or got it posted. The following is yesterday's blog.

I have a lot of goat's milk in my freezer that I need to get rid of before my goats come fresh again. So I have decided to make lotion, cleanser and soap. I started my new adventure today.

I purchased most of the ingredients that I needed from that great Chinese distributor, Walmart, except for the Beeswax and Goat's Milk. I bought a Stick Blender that was made in China, they only had one choice available, so it got pitched in the old cart pretty quickly without much thought. They had Coconut Oil that is a dietary supplement that was actually manufactured in Florida. They had Spring Valley Vitamin E Oil for the skin that was manufactured in California. They also had some Aloe Vera Gel that wasn't exactly what my recipe called for because it wasn't 100% Aloe Vera, it was an Aloe Vera Gel for sunburn, but I didn't think it would hurt anything because it is for the skin and it was manufactured in Florida.

Here is the recipe:

1/8 tsp. borax
1/4 cup cold goat's milk
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 Tbsp. beeswax
1/2 cup Aloe Vera gel
1 tsp. Vitamin E oil

Heat borax and milk in microwave to boiling. Melt coconut oil and beeswax together in microwave but remove when oil gets hot and beeswax is not completely melted, the hot oil will melt the beeswax with a little time and stirring. Slowly add this to the borax/milk mixture using a stick blender. Add Vitamin E oil and cool to room temperature. Next add Aloe Vera to the cooled lotion and blend one final time.

I had to buy the beeswax on eBay.

We found this recipe to be way too greasy, but it may be because I used the wrong type of Aloe Vera Gel. This would make a great massage oil though.

I plan to order some pure Aloe Vera and try this recipe again because it is so easy. The hardest part was shaving the beeswax

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would getting an aloe plant and using that work?
Looks like a good recipe...

Pintura Springs said...

I have an aloe vera plant but I don't think that I could extract enough gel for this.

Anonymous said...

How much lotion does this recipe make. I too have excess milk and need to do something with it I'm interested in making lotion in bulk to sell at goat shows and around town. Have you tried this recipe again with the correct aloe gel? How did it turn out? Do you know if you can add goat's milk to regular lotion or soap base and just heat it up? Thanks for your help!

Pintura Springs said...

The recipe made around 24 oz. I have not tried to make it again. I am sorry, but I don't know the answer to your other questions.

I will probably attempt this again during the winter months when I have more time.

Unknown said...

Hi,
I am searching for a goat milk lotion and I think I'll try this recipe but I am going to use sweet almond oil instead of the coconut oil because coconut oil is heavier and less non-comedogenic (meaning it has a higher probability fo clogging pours). So if you haven't tried making this lotion again yet, then try it with a lighter oil...google non-comedogenic oils and you'll get a list. Jojoba would be great too.

Unknown said...

Hi,

I will probably try your recipe but will use sweet almond oil or jojoba oil in place of the coconut oil as they are lighter oils and are non-comedogenic (they won't clog your pores). You can try a lighter oil and it may not be so greasy (which is great for body skin in winter, but not so great for the face or the skin in the heat of summer).

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Borax? No way do I ever use Borax in any of my formulations

Anonymous said...

Hi, I know it's been years since this blog, but I was wondering if there's any new news on the goat milk lotion? Can any essential oils be added to it? How long is it's shelf life? Can the recipe be doubled or tripled? Did the almond/jojoba oils work better than the coconut oil?
Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

What could be used in the place of Borax? I too run from it!

nrp said...

would anyone with extra goats milk get in touch with me. I am trying to make lotion. Is the borax a preservative and what can be used in place of it. can I use honeycombe and melt instead of beeswax.

ShareThis