Monday, March 24, 2008

Giselle

After working with Giselle for many hours and trying everything that we could think of, she continued to go downhill rapidly. I found a scalpel and gathered my towels, so that we would be ready when she breathed her last breath to open her up and try to save her babies.

She died in my arms and my DH went to work as quickly as possible. He had no problem locating the first kid and handing it to me. I immediately gave it a gentle swing to try to clear it's lungs and passageways, and started toweling it off but put it down when I got no response and took the next one, the same thing happened. He handed me the third one and quickly searched for more before turning to help me.

We worked and worked, slinging, thumping, rubbing, even giving some mouth to mouth but none of them ever moved or responded in any way. A black buck, a black and white spotted buck and a mahogany spotted doe.

This turned out to be a bad Easter for me, my new Easter dress went unworn and I am wondering if there was something more that I could have done for Giselle or for the babies. My Dear Husband says that this is just life on the farm. You are always going to lose a few battles, I suppose. But it still really hurts...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so so sorry to hear about Giselle and the babies, it is heart wrenching to lose animals, especially to something unpredictable. I hope you have more kids with Cinder and the others, and that the foals start coming soon....hang in there God will bless you for your persistance and your good endeavors...

Anonymous said...

HI VICKY,
I AM VERY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. LOSING SOMETHING SO PRECIOUS IS HEARTWRENCHING. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THINGS HAPPEN FOR A REASON AND SOMETIMES THAT BECOMES MY MONTRA.. HANG IN THERE AND I KNOW SOMETHING GOOD WILL HAPEEN EVEN THOUGH IT DOESN'T SEEM SO!!
THE FOALS AND OTHER "KIDS" WILL COME ALONG AND BRIGHTEN UP YOUR HEART, EVEN IF JUST A BIT.
KAREN

Pintura Springs said...

Thanks so much, Punky and Karen, I really appreciate your encouragement and support. Thanks for taking the time to write me a note.

ShareThis