Monday, March 10, 2008

Horse Tails

When I went out to feed my goats and chickens on Saturday after the big snow, I kept hearing this strange sound. Anytime there is snow on the ground, everything sounds different, clearer. This was a clicking sound that was coming from the pasture and sounded like lots and lots of wooden or bamboo wind chimes. I stopped and listened and tried to figure out where the sound was coming from. It didn't take long to see what was causing it.

All of the horses with long tails which is most of them, had little balls of ice on the ends of their tails. They were clicking together when they moved. They were also causing great difficulty in walking and some them had even quit trying to walk because their tails were wrapping themselves around their hind legs and locking in place. When they would try to step forward they were all tangled up and pulling their own tails. It was a strange sight that I had never noticed before. It was like having their hind legs roped, so I suppose it was good training, they didn't seem too upset about it, some of them were just standing very still, while others were walking very slowly and carefully.

No comments:

ShareThis