I haven't had the time to blog for a couple of days, my dear neighbor bought a new computer and I had to spent several hours at their house yesterday setting it up and installing things. Today I made pear jam, I canned 10 pints. The pears were wonderful this year, very abundant, healthy, worm free and sweet.
I finally got around to trying my fresh boiled egg experiment tonight. I read over my notes and tried a mixture of several methods. The eggs were very fresh, I boiled a pan of water with a splash of vinegar and a pinch of salt added. Then I added two large eggs to the already boiling water with a pair of tongs. I boiled them for 12 minutes, then removed them to a bath of ice cold water with the tongs. After several minutes I removed them from the cold water and attempted to peel them.
The first egg was picture perfect, except for the fact that it needed another couple of minutes in the boiling water. It peeled very easily and looked nice, no discoloration and the shell had not cracked. I was thrilled that it had worked until I tried to peel the second egg. The shell did not want to let go this time. This was a great disappointment for me.
I am too tired to try it again tonight, so tomorrow I will try bringing the eggs to a boil and then removing them from the heat, covering them with a lid and let them set for 20 minutes. Then putting them in the freezer for 5 minutes.