Saturday, September 13, 2008

Little Rooster Syndrome

Rudy, my Mille Fleur D'uccle rooster had a bad case of LRS or Little Rooster Syndrome, when we brought the new Barred Rock rooster home. Now this new rooster is quite impressive, he is massive and has a real deep, rough and loud crow. The minute Rudy found him there in the pet cage that next morning, he was itching for a fight. He wasn't about to let another rooster join the community, there was already two roosters too many.

The new Polish rooster isn't much of a threat, he doesn't even crow and he jumps straight up in the air and hits the ground running at the least little noise. But this rooster was different, he just could not be allowed to stay and Rudy had made up his mind to chase him off as soon as we let him out of that cage.

Cock Fight

When we did turn the new guy out, Rudy put up a gallant fight. But he just didn't have the right stuff. I have named the new Barred Rock rooster, Rocky, it seems to fit. The following video is what happened when he and Rudy tried to iron out their differences like men.


When Rudy finally decided that he was fighting in the wrong weight division. He ran off in humiliation. My bigger rooster, Boot-strap was next in line to take this newcomer on. I didn't see that fight but I guess that it was a good one. The good thing about Rocky is that he doesn't start a fight, he just finishes it.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh dear! You can tell they were tired at the end of that. I hope Rudy is careful, he's a lot smaller than Rocky! I had a Barred Rock rooster that we liked to have around. But when the chickens reached maturity he became a bit too rough with the girls and a bit uppity toward me so I butchered him. I like our Hamburg rooster much better. He still does what roosters should do, but without the aggression toward me or the pullets.

ShareThis