Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Coyote Visit

Early yesterday morning my DH went outside and saw a deer jump over the fence from the wooded side of our property into our pasture. Then he saw a coyote come over the brink of the hill in our pasture, the deer turned around and ran back towards the woods, the coyote pursued her.

I had just been commenting on where the fox had gone. We were seeing the fox just about every day, then all of the sudden he just disappeared. We haven't seen him for several days. I have heard that foxes won't stay were coyotes spend time. I don't know if that is true or not but it seems to always be the case here. This is the first coyote that we have seen in a long time. We haven't even been hearing them at night.

I am happy that I don't have to deal with the fox anymore but I might have a worse problem now. We have never lost any livestock to a coyote but they do make me nervous.

We have been seeing a very large buck in our lower pasture. He doesn't just have a large rack but is just massive all over. He must be older than what we usually see because he has a very large neck and shoulders. He looks like the big bucks that you see on the covers of hunter's magazines. We think that he is probably staying on our island. Indian Creek crosses our property and it splits in one place to form a fairly large island. We have had the bigger and more experienced bucks live on that island before, but not for the last couple of years.

I know that my brother-in-law and my cousin both read my blog, so they will probably want to come down for a visit during deer season after they read this. I also told a couple of deer hunters at Church about him, so his days may be numbered, as long as I get a few good steaks out of the deal, I won't cry over him. They just came out with a new study that meat-eaters don't have the brain shrinkage that vegetarians have. I believe that I could have told you that, but that certainly explains a lot.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that coyote doesn't start attacing your animals. We have them here too and it's open season on them because they are so destructive.

Country Gal At Heart said...

Spinner: I left you a comment on the "Dairy Goat for Sale" post. I just had to write again and tell you -- I just read the Jan 27, 2008 post you wrote -- and I have been sitting here laughing out loud!! Boy, you seem to hit all those nails right on the head! You are hilarious! And so true!

Pintura Springs said...

Amy, I hope that we don't start having problems with the coyotes but so far we haven't. Foxes and opossums are the only two things that have deserved elimination around here so far.

Country Gal, I will have to go back and read that blog, I don't remember it, but thanks for your kind words.

Anonymous said...

WE ALSO HAVE COYOTES IN MASSACHUSETTS AND THEY ARE A BIG NUISANCE..."CITY" FOLK THAT MOVE TO THE COUNTRY LIKE TO FEED THEM... THIS MAKES THEM EVEN BOLDER THAN NORMAL...THEIR FAVORITE PREY?? CATS AND SMALL DOGS!!!AT LEAST HERE IN MA. WHRE I HAVE MY HORSES YOU CAN HEAR THEM TALKING TO ONE ANOTHER AT DUSK...

PLEASE TELL MARK "GOOD LUCK ON THE MUSTANG MAKEOVER"..I WATCH THE SHOW ON RFD WHEN THEY HAVE IT!!!


KAREN IN MASS!!

ShareThis