Thursday, January 10, 2008

Chicken Hawk

My Rooster
And again today I am going to talk about Chickens. I love my goats and horses but maybe I like Chickens because that is what I remember about my Grandmother, her with her chickens. I remember playing in the barn as kids and there were nests set up everywhere. I loved finding eggs back then and I guess I still do.

I found my first egg from my new chickens this morning and one of the red hens was in a nest when I was out there to feed this morning, so I am sure that I am going to find at least one more.

When I went to feed this morning and turn my 5 Barred Rocks out for the first time, two of my new red hens were already out with my 3 banty hens and my banty rooster. I was feeding them outside the shed when one of the Rhodies ran quickly into the shed, then the rooster who was standing next to me made a loud noise and the other Rhodie ran into the shed and the 3 banty hens got up against my legs. The rooster ran a short distance away from me and the hens into an open spot and the next thing I knew a Hawk swooped down right in front of me, I couldn't believe how close it was. I guess it was trying to get one of the small hens. That rooster had tried to sacrifice himself to save his hens.

I have had this happen with another rooster that I had, they will warn the hens and then run right into danger to draw the predator away from the hens. They will even make the same sound as a hen laying an egg in order to confuse a predator.

My Hens

No comments:

ShareThis