Friday, January 11, 2008

Domain Name Registrars

New domain name practice criticized - Yahoo! News

The above article is very disturbing to me, this is the first time that this has been confirmed to be true, that I have seen but I suspected this was going on because it has happened to me a few times.

Clients will search for a domain name then contact me to build them a site, telling me that the name they want is available but when I check it isn't available and we have to find a different name.

I had one business with a long, unusual name hire me to build a website and when I checked on the name it was available, I called the clients to find out if the name I had chosen was suitable and they said, "Yes, buy it." I went directly back to register the name and it was no longer available, so we had to go with the .ORG of the name instead of the .COM. A couple of weeks later I checked on the .com and it was available again. So that registrar forced me to buy two names instead of one. Greedy crooks!!

No comments:

ShareThis