Saturday, January 26, 2008

New Member

I have a new member in my farm family, a Mille Fleur d'uccle rooster. I already had two Millie hens, so come spring, I hope to raise some purebred chicks. Both of my little hens are very broody and one of them hatched out 3 eggs last spring, all roosters.

My sweet cousin bought two hens and two roosters off of my neighbor, I knew that he had them because he gave me the two hens that I have now. My husband wouldn't let me get a rooster because we already had a rooster and I don't think that he wants me to get into raising chicks. So, being the perfect wife, I didn't whine much.

Anyway, my sweet cousin didn't need two roosters, so for some unknown reason my husband asked me if I wanted one and of course, I did. I plan to try to raise my sweet cousin a hen in the spring to pay him back for his generosity. Hopefully I won't get all roosters again.

My little bantam Mille Fleur d'uccle rooster, is just adorable but he is as wild as he can be and a real loud mouth. You would think that he was a wild bird the way he acts, which is strange because my hens are so sweet and friendly. This breed is known for there tameness. They are also known for the rich eggs that they lay, tiny but delicious.

His continuous crowing is extremely annoying, it sounds like a scratchy record but of course most people now-a-days don't know what a scratchy record sounds like. This younger generation has missed so much.

I will try to get some pictures of my new guy, as soon as I can get him tamed down some. Here is a picture of my Millie hens:

Mille Fleur d'uccle Hens

No comments:

ShareThis