Saturday, April 12, 2008

Can't Catch A Break

Miracle was just doing wonderful and then she went been down on us again. She woke up this morning and took three bottles in a heartbeat. She took her last bottles at 9:00 AM then when I went out to check on her at 10:30 AM she was lying flat out on her side panting like a dog and chilling. She was too weak to lift her head.

I took her temperature it was nearly 104ยบ. So I went to work on her, I had my DH prop her up onto her stomach instead of the flat out on her side position with a bale of straw and put a blanket her. She wouldn't take a bottle or hold up her head, so I used the drench gun on her. I gave her a mixture of strong black coffee, molasses and some whiskey that I got from my neighbor.

Then I did two things that I was not sure was the right decision but I was desperate, I had my husband give her a shot of LA-200, a long lasting antibiotic that I use on my goats, even though she is on some type of medicine for the bladder infection that the Vet gave us. I also gave her some children's liquid ibuprofen. I don't think you are suppose to give it to animals but that is what I had on hand.

I very slowly gave her pedialyte drenches several times, letting her rest about 30 minutes between each drench. Then I drenched her again with the equal parts of the warm coffee, molasses and whiskey mixture.

I let her rest and waited to see what would happen and I finally started seeing her breathing start to slow down and she started lifting her head. Before long she was on her feet. She was slowing improving throughout the day but then had a little relapse this evening but not nearly as severe.

She is taking her bottles again and my DH said that he will help me feed her tonight, so that I can get some rest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'M SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR SET-BACK. I HOPE THIS IS THE LAST OF IT. I DON'T THINK YOU DID HER HARM WITH THE ANTIBIOTICS OR I.B.PROFIN. AND THE OTHER YOU GAVE HER, MY GRANDMOTHER USE TO MAKE US A "HOT TODDIE" AS SHE CALLED IT. IT WAS VERY STRONG TEA WITH HONEY, LEMON AND A SHOT OF BRANDY. AND IT WORKED!!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND MIRACLE. I HOPE SHE'S DOING BETTER. APPARENTLY SHE'S STILL MIS-FIRING. {YOU TAKE THAT BREAK AND LET DH TAKE A TURN. YOU DESERVE IT].
KAREN

Anonymous said...

HI VICKY,
JUST WONDERING , HAVE YOU WORMED MIRACLE?? I DON'T KNOW IF THAT WOULD HELP BUT IT COULDN'T HURT I DON'T THINK!!

KAREN

ShareThis